How long do you have to survive to be a Survivor?

Leslie221

Darn I miss her presence.... She was so full of life.

I know she is an angel helping so many in need.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Leslie

I am so glad that her and her DH had that free trip to Europe... that will be in my memory bank, she did that web site with all those pics.

Miss you Leslie,

Maryanne :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

How interesting that I see this posting. I just made my one year of being diagnosed this past Saturday. My 15 year old son asked me "Mom, what are we going to do to celebrate your one year? I thought to myself, why would I want to celebrate the darkest day in my life so far?? And then I realized that it was something to celebrate - originally the doctors gave me one year, maybe two. And here I am still doing well after one year. My husband wasn't sure about calling it a celebration, but we went out to eat and spent time with each other, which, I guess, was the most important thing of all.

I am new to this website and have read many of the postings and already feel like I have found a lot of new friends - God Bless you all!!

I'm reaching for tissues after reading Beckys post, and going to plant tulips and watch them bloom in the spring, thank you Cindi. My nurse told me, "you are a suvivor everyday after the day your diagnosed" She was trying but that was a little to "fluffy" for me, I'm going w/ the tulips!

Cancer is not killing me, it's forcing me to live!

The work thing really wrapped it up for me. I PUSHED to get a back 2 work note, I'll let you know if I go. Mary

• 3 months later...

Wow, I am so happy that I have read all of your words. I have recently been diagnosed. I am no further into tests than the initial CAT scan. So actually I don't really know anything about my condition, other than the demon lives in my lungs. The initial shock, horror,I'm dead, denial, fear and many other emotions hung on hard & heavy for several days. I truly believe that God led me to LCSC. He knew that I needed support and here I could find it. I am on the site several times every day. I thank all of you for letting me know that I am not alone. You have all gone through the emotional rolly-coaster that I am on. You have all grabbed the bull by the horns and carried on. Thank you for the inspiration and giving me the fight to know that I can beat the demon.Right now I am walking an emotional tight rope. I fall off many times. That is when I come to my computer and get strength and courage from all of you.

Thank you again.

• 5 months later...

In my opinion, survivorship BEGINS at the moment we decide to fight the cancer. Over time, survivorship BECOMES a state of heart, a state of mind, and a reflection of hope and of faith. Ultimately, I think, survivorship is renewed each day. It is about living as fully and as meaningfully as we can as our individual circumstances permit, recognizing that every day of life is a gift, that the world is a wonderful place, there are still many good things to see and experience, and that blessings -- great blessings -- can be experienced all along the way.

I am determined that my cancer will not go to waste. It has changed my world, but in many ways for the better. With the second chance that I've been given, I want to do some good with the things that I have learned. I haven't figured out exactly how to do that yet, but I am convinced survivorship at its best is to transform the disease of cancer into things that are life giving and life affirming with the time that we are given.

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

It seems a millions years away since my DX yet I have not even hit one year. Perhaps that is why the 'survivor' stance seems so appropriate and true.

We have all gone through tremendous battles, good times, travels and many instances all particular to your lifestyle. Strength makes us survivors right off the top. Happiness to enjoy life and all it is bringing us makes us survivors right off the top.

Live life as fulfilling as you can. Every physical body is different so the practical side of living will not be the same as the person next to you at the chemo clinic or the person standing in line beside you at a department store. Keeping in mind 'it is all relative', do what you can and feel great about it because it is so special and it is YOU.

Live, love and always hope for the best.

I am now having the time of my life, considering. :wink:

Love and hope to all of you,

Lorrie

Wow...what a walk down memory lane that was...some I did not remember..many are still here.....others I wonder how they are? I still have a long ways to go in this journey....one that I'm not sure truly ever ends for I fear the monster lurks about for a long time.But I'm getting to the point were I can deal with him...and I have plenty of duct tape.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a upper right Lobectomy in October 2014 They removed a lot of lymph nodes that were cancerous also.  I just had a PET scan and nothing showed up. That translates to 14 months being cancer free. People tell me that I am a survivor, but I don't feel like it. I still have issues with pain and dizziness and fatigue. I feel blessed that I am still. I thought that the 5 year mark was the goal to reach. I was wrong. I am part of a cancer group, and they straightened me out. I have received so much positive support from these people. I have learned that a cancer diagnose is not the end of it all. I have seen so many that have beaten the odds. So, I am a survivor and I will be positive from now on. 

• 6 years later...