Swollen Ankles

trish2418

The last couple of weeks I've had the darndest problem with swollen ankles and I can't figure out the cause. At first it was limited to my left ankle and I thought it was from a sprained ankle I suffered years ago. I started walking in October and I thought maybe I was overdoing it and my weak ankle was protesting. Now my right ankle is swelling, not as much as the left, but there's noticeable swelling. Swelling goes down overnight, but comes back over the course of the day.

Has this happened to anyone else? I see my onc. on the 29th and I'll mention it to him then, but it's really starting to bug me.

My current meds are Tarceva 150 mg, and Minocycline.

Trish

I know EVERY time I have a checkup the doc checks my feet and ankles for swelling. Now I have never had any, so I really don't know exactly what it would mean if I did. BUT it is something that my guy keeps watch over. I would put in a call before your appt. and let them know this has been happening. You may be told to wait until you scheduled time, but I think it is something they need to know about right now.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I know there are folks here who know what this means.

Kasey

Sounds as if you have some fluid retention. I have had this problem several times - and I think some people have had this as a side effect of Tarceva.

My doctor has prescribed a mild diuretic that is potassium sparing... I usually take one and that is all I need.

I would just call your doctor and have him call in a prescription to your local pharmacy. The problem will be gone in a day.

Good luck.

Mary

I had been on a potassium-sparing diuretic a number of years for an unrelated condition, but stopped taking it after beginning chemo because the additional water consumption (and enlarged prostate typical of a guy my age) made searching for the next bathroom the most urgent feature of any trip away from home. There was no swelling during the first four cycles of Taxol/Carbo/Avastin, but I did get significant swelling of the left ankle and calf during cycle 5. Combined with the rash which has been a frequent side effect, the skin on the left ankle and calf became tight, sore, itchy, and generally uncomfortable. I resumed taking the diuretic, used hydrocortisone ointment on the rash, and the leg was back to normal within a few days.

Aloha,

Ned

This could be a dozen of things. It could be the Traceva, it could be heart related, (my ankle swell and I have had heart issues), it could be poor circulation, etc., etc.,

I think you should call your PCP or call your Onc Doc and see if you need to be seen before the 29th.

It could very well be heart problems too, that's one of the first things a cardiologist asks is, "do your ankles &/or feet swell?" I hope you'll have it check out sooner rather then later.

Keep us posted. Hang in there!