NSCLC: 3 months in, more diagnosis, changing plan of attack

md6183

To recount, my wife (age 50) is the patient, dx stage IV NSCLC adenocarcinoma on August 9, 2012. First PET late August showed mets in chest lymphs, both adrenal glands, and external iliac. Two rounds of chemo 9/24 and 10/17 (carboplatin and pemetrexed). Tolerated chemo very well, not so Neulasta but took it anyway. Severe leg pain emerged two weeks ago. Second PET and hip/leg MRI 11/2. Mixed bag of results yesterday: iliac met resolved, lung site shrunk 15%, one adrenal shrunk 75%, the other increased 100%, but now a new met in femur, explains leg pain. Results could have been better, but also could have been much worse.

New plan includes femur radiation, need to first stabilize the bone, seeing orthopedist tomorrow before starting, medical oncologist being cautious to avoid bone trauma. New chemo plan includes Zometa (for bone) and Taxotere. Welcome any comments and experience with these two drugs, and/or with femur mets and treatment.

Those are the facts, but on the emotional side we took this news well, frankly being mentally prepared for worse news, so any good news was welcomed with relief. Very happy with docs and nurses at Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. Spirituality and faith provide our foundation for hope and comfort. Thank you all for managing and continuing this site. I've only belonged for 3 weeks but was very, very saddened and pained for Susan Gamble, may God grant her family peace and comfort.

Mike

MD, I am sorry the news was not all good but there is alot of encouraging news among the not so good. Don't have any info for you but wanted to stop in and say Hi, since I live right outside Phila.

Don't know Jeff either, my husband was at Penn and Fox Chase.

I send you and your wife good wishes for continued success.

To recount, my wife (age 50) is the patient, dx stage IV NSCLC adenocarcinoma . . .

Mike

Mike,

Her doctors at Jeff should have covered most of this question already, but may I ask if her cancer was tested to determine which one mutation is driving her cancer? Some aren't so useful yet (like KRAS), but others have high odds of being inhibited with a drug for a number of months (specifically EGFR, ALK, or ROS1, although there are some others emerging in the research that may be useful like RET). Never-smokers have better odds of being driven by a useful mutation.

Best hopes,

Craig in PA

• 1 year later...