This time of year

michellep

This time of year is so difficult. I am not going to pretend that its not.

So many of us are missing our love ones and trying our best to just make it through each day.

You are probably struggling to make the Holidays somewhat "normal" for your family while crumbling inside.

Yet, things are not "normal". Everyone in your family knows it.

Know that you are not alone, in feeling like the grinch. This is hard.

You are likely to be extra irritable, moody, you may even tell a few people to go fly a kite that you normally wouldn't.

Take some time just for yourself and take a deep breath. Remember that you are not alone! ((hugs))

Thanks Michelle and Katie. This is a good reminder for many of us I think not to expect too much from ourselves this time of year -- which I believe we all tend to do.

For me - it really helps having the small grandkids around. It also helps that my kids come home every year - some, if not all. My mother was the one who "made" Xmas for all of us every year. After my folks died - it was really difficult and I was the only one left to do it. If it were just Chuck and I - it's doubtful we'd even put up a tree. We would go to church, and try to get involved in helping out at the Salvation Army or food pantry -- but that would be it. The younger kids make it more exciting somehow - and that keeps me going. Once they grow up, I guess I'll have to find someone with small kids to adopt us :)

• 3 years later...

This time of year is so difficult. I am not going to pretend that its not.

So many of us are missing our love ones and trying our best to just make it through each day.

You are probably struggling to make the Holidays somewhat "normal" for your family while crumbling inside.

Yet, things are not "normal". Everyone in your family knows it.

Know that you are not alone, in feeling like the grinch. This is hard.

You are likely to be extra irritable, moody, you may even tell a few people to go fly a kite that you normally wouldn't.

Take some time just for yourself and take a deep breath. Remember that you are not alone! ((hugs))

Michelle, so sorry for your loss.

This was my first Christmas without my mom. It was really hard. She kept our family together, kept the peace. Everyone is now fighting with one another. My Dad is 81, when he passes on, I don't know if my siblings will remain in touch with one another. I have 3 daughters, they keep me busy and usually happy. We had a very nice Christmas. Getting through those one-a-year parties with extended family was tough, but the dread of going was worse than actually being there.

I hope you had a great Christmas this year.

so true.

Great advice.

LCSCer's: What are some of the things you do to get thru the holidays peacefully when you are missing the presence of those you love?

Katie, I just lost my mother November 4th.

Things that helped:

• writing her obituary!
  • baking her famous apple cake and organge drop cookies
  • creating a speacial ornament in her honor.

I also talk to her when I am outside with my dogs.