Devastated with Diagnosis

Cindykem

Hello all! I came across this blog during my internet search on trying to help my husband cope with his new diagnosis. I am truly inspired by the stories and have let go of some of the anger I am feeling. My husband is 44 years old and was just diagnosed (12/5) with lung cancer, NSC Adenocarcinomas in the right lung. Our journey started with him being short of breath and not feeling well. I took him to the emergency room where the CT scan revealed he had pulmonary embolisms in both lungs and a tumor in his right lung. At this point he has only had a biopsy of the tumor in his right lung and we have been told his lymph nodes are enlarged in his chest. First doctors apt on 12/9/12 we were told it is inoperable (at this point) because there are several small masses on his left lung as well. We are waiting for the insurance company to approve the Pet scan which will be scheduled right away. His cancer has not been staged yet. He starts chemo (Carboplatin, Avastin, Alimta) on 12/19. We are devastated and scared not knowing what tomorrow will bring. We have 2 children (16 & 12). I have read that a positive attitude is half the battle. I really need suggestions on how to help my husband cope so he can physically and mentally prepare for the long road ahead.

I'm so sorry you have reason to find this site. No one should have lung cancer, but I think it is especially hard when people are young. I believe the point you and your husband are at in this journey right now is the hardest time. I remember being so frustrated waiting for the insurance company to approve the PET scan. It seemed I was just waiting around for weeks and doing nothing. Until you have a more complete idea of what is going on and what the treatment options are, it is difficult. I think it gets easier once you have all the information and a definite treatment plan in place. As for having a positive attitude - you are so right. And today especially there are so many new options, along with the genetic testing they are doing for targeted therapies, that there is even more reason to have a positive outlook.

Please keep us posted on your husband's diagnosis. And if for any reason you are not completely satisfied with the treatment plan his doctors' recommend, don't forget that you have the option to get a second opinion - many people here were very glad they did.

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to LCSC,I am sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis,the start of any cancer journey is always hardest at the outset,it really takes time to adjust to this new situation.I can promise you that things do settle down after a short while.I thought Dianes reply was excellent to the point where there is not much I can add.As all the tests are undertaken and collated your husbands medical team will come up with a tailor made treatment plan to be the most effective in treating his cancer.

I have survived now for five years,I can cast my mind back to that period of time you are in,everything was so scary,a walk into the unknown,with a feeling of having a uncertain future.Then when my medical team came up with my treatment plan,it brought a new set of anxieties,will the chemo make me violently nauseus?will all my hair fall out?,I was to have surgery,a upper right lobectomy,my brain is so imaginative,I could dream up so many different scenarios,will the surgery be so overwhelmingly painful,(I am a Scot,but certainly not one of those braveheart types)will the surgery leave me a breathless invalid?,will even when all is done be successful?.Well I can tell you for all my imaginings,nothing even came close to being realised,I sailed through the lot,chemo and surgery,OK,post surgery my wound was a bit achey,but it would be an exaggeration to say painful.

Following my surgery in Jan 2009,I returned to work after a short period of time.I did search out LC survivor stories,and I discovered Robert Lowe,briefly,he was dxd with SCLC in 1993,given two months to live,Robert ignored that and carried on after his treatments were completed,in 2007,Robert was then dxd with NSCLC,had his treatments,he survived two types of LC for twenty years,I met up with Robert,and I joined his LC support group.By co-incidence,Robert and I were brought up in the same district in Glasgow,-Springburn,we even went to the same schools,despite Robert being 10 years my senior we actually shared many of the same teachers,each time we met up,it was laughter all the way as we exchanged our lifetime anedotes.There is life after a LC dx,take each day one day at a time,a saying I picked up and has stayed with me "Worry is like sitting in a rocking chair,it gives you something to do,but it dos'nt get you anywhere".My own experience I can also summerise "Lung Cancer may have rained on my parade but it sure came with a hugh silver lining,it has taken me to places I would have never otherwise dreampt of going and meeting up with some many new friends I would have never otherwise met".

Bye for now,give my regards to your husband,why not encourage him to exchange posts with us?

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I know exactly how you are feeling because I have been there myself. Yes, keeping a positive attitude during this process is critical for you and your entire family. All I can suggest at this point is to take it one day at a time and try your best not to let any negative thoughts entire your mind. Hard to say yes, but you gotta try. Coming to this board during the time my husband was fighting this monster was so very helpful to me. I had so much love and support from the members here.

Please keep us updated ((hugs))

It is very hard in the early stages and very very scary because you do not know what to expect when it all starts.. once you start treatments you calm down some until scans to see how things are going...

Some things to try and do to help and make life easier..

1. Stay hydrated Lots of water because that trip to the ER for dehydration is not fun.....

2. Lots of High Protein snacks. keep things he likes on hand all the time for when the munchies hit. steroids also increase appetite... he should be getting something to control Nausea also ....

3. think Green and red foods and veggies. the best things in the veggie world are green and red fruits and veggies... You may also want to try smoothies for drinks for him. because you can use lots of fruits and Yogurt and some folks have been known to use Muscle builder sometimes to keep proteins up....

3. always let your Doctor know what supplements and other side drugs he is taking to help with interference issues... multi vitamins aspirin muscle building supplements etc...

if Chemo does not supply them think about taking snacks with you if your going to be there a long time... and a neck pad or pillow is also very comfy to have along...the little cheese packets and crackers are great sources of protein....

• 5 weeks later...

So a lot has happened since my first post in December. My husband had a pet scan on Christmas eve. The day after Christmas we found out he has stage 4 extensive. Mets to his brain, lymph nodes, other lung, bone (spine) and adrenal glands. He was hospitalized the day after Christmas and had the tumor removed from his brain the following day. He came through surgery great and they did gamma knife the following week. We found that he has tested positive for a gene mutation, which we have been told is good news. He started Traceva, which has caused a rash. So much has happened so quickly, we don't have much time to be sad about what is going on. The oncologist has been wonderful. He is looking for clinical trails throughout the US that may extend my husband's life. THANKS for all the email of concern!

best of luck on trials.....

http://clinicaltrials.gov/

might be of some help or give some ideas what to look into..... hope he gets great news and glad the gamma knife was done that is a HUGE step right there.. the Rash is a good thing and shows the drug is working... to help with discomfort try Nivea with white top on it for a local cream...might help with discomfort....

Hi Cindy!

I hope your husband is doing well with his recovery and I hope you are doing ok. Positive thoughts coming your way! Please update us when you get a chance. Take care!

Best Regards,

Nikole