FDA Approves new ALK treatment - Please read

CindyA

The US Food and Drug Administration granted accelerated approval to ceritinib (Zykadia) for the treatment of patients with metastatic ALK-positive non–small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). About 2% to 7% percent of NSCLC patients have ALK-positive disease. -

See more at: http://www.cancernetwork.com/news/fda-a ... LIVmQ.dpuf

• 1 year later...

I am one of those patients with the ALK mutation, and have been taking Xalkori (crizintonib)for the past 9 months - exceeding the predicted time before resistance sets in. 

Currently in complete remission....... watch this space.

Its so good to know there are second and third line defenses after this one stops working.......

• 5 months later...

I am an ALKie also. I have been on Xakori (crizotinib) now for 15 months and am still stable. So glad to know there is another line of defense if and when the Xalkori becomes ineffective.

Update: after being on Xalkori for 29 months with great results I began having some progression so was switched to Alecensa (alectinib) 5 months ago and it is working even better than the Xalkori with fewer side effects. So thankful for all the advances in lung cancer treatments.

• 4 months later...

I too am ALK positive. Although the surgery was successful in removing the cancer from my lung and lymph node, I had to have chemo and radiation simultaneously. I am currently cancer free, but still get checked every 3 months. I am also relieved to know there is another line of defence if it were to reoccur.   Keytrude has now been approved to 1st line for lung cancer. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2016 at 0:35 PM, tess_hk78 said:

I am one of those patients with the ALK mutation, and have been taking Xalkori (crizintonib)for the past 9 months - exceeding the predicted time before resistance sets in. 

Currently in complete remission....... watch this space.

Its so good to know there are second and third line defenses after this one stops working.......

My 38 yrs old daughter was just diagnosed 3 weeks ago with stage 111b adenocarcinoma! A week later they found a very small Met in her brain! We go to have that radiated on Monday! Gene study just came back and she has the ARK and the PDL1! After the brain rad she will be starting Crizotinib! On researching this, I was wandering hue expensive this drug is and how good insurance pays for this! This has given us hope and we are anxious to start this! Any insight anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated! So excited about your news!!