Newby here.

Grey

My hubby was diagnosed with stage 4 nsclc a month ago. Started chemo (cisplatin and paclitaxel) this past Thursday. He has been sick in bed since Sunday. Today he is feeling a little better so far. What has others experience with chemo been like. Is it extending your life and how is quality of life with chemo. I know everyone is different in response to chemo. I've never traveled this road before and am walking it blind so to say.

Welcome.  Glad you found this site.  As you can see below, I have had treatment for lung cancer and so did my husband.

It is tough but there are many things the doctor can do to make it a little easier, as anti nausea meds   I have survived since 1997, 

It is good he has you there with him.  I needed a notebook to write down what the Doctor said, and my questions for the doctor.  Maybe you can help him with that also.

I hope he responds well to this treatment.  Please keep us posted.

Donna G

I'm still in treatment for my SCLC.  Last chemo will be the week of Christmas, and last of the daily radiations will be the 2nd of January.  The 1st and 3rd chemo's were pretty nasty to me. the 2nd had extra days in between due to hospitalizations.  That being said, I have had more than 25 day (what I call Good) consecutive days--no coughing, no choking shortness of breath, no vomiting--edema is gone, I can walk again, without a walker... OK, waddle; I am back to cooking many of the meals, protein, protein, protein-fresh fruit and lots of veggies.  I believe that I have turned the corner, coming down the back stretch, as it were... I fought hard to live. 

The chemo fog thing...takes me about a week to get past...I can tell when I am better by the decrease in the ringing in my ears as the second week starts.  I will say, the hardest thing was to be careful to drink plenty of fluids and eat about every two hours.  Good news, I am no longer losing weight...I manage to keep it acceptable.  My blood draws are pretty good and near normal, again.  No restrictions on my diet, as of yet. Very little RX, at this time, no oxygen. I was extremely healthy when I received the SCLC diagnosis, for my age... It all came as a shock.  Now that I have had time to deal with it, I consider it a "job" to survive, heal and go on with the rest of my life. I am excited to see what life has to offer me, in the next few years... 8)

• 1 month later...

How is your husband doing?  How are you doing?  I just started chemo on Jan. 6 but am feeling great. Hopefully your husbands symptoms did not last too long and he is feeling better....let us know!

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

He is doing really good! He has had three treatments and still has one more. They did a scan three weeks after the second treatment and it showed a 50% reduction in the tumor size, so, it's working. He is usually really sick on the third, fourth, and fifth day after treatment but they have him on antinausea meds for that and they help quite a bit. They lower his dosage of chemo with each treatment to help with the side effects. He started losing his hair about two weeks after the first treatment and that upset him. I think when that happened, the reality of the situation really sunk in. He became very depressed and the doctor put him on antidepressants to help him cope. His mood is better and back to normal.

50 % reduction in 3 treatments, WOW, that sounds great !!!!!!!! 

Yes  this is potent stuff.  Glad the doctor has prescribed those meds to help him cope with the side effects. sounds like their a help also.

Please keep us posted.

Donna G