My name is Debbie Young I have small cell lung cancer

DebbieY

I was diagnosed on December 29, 2014 with stage 3 small cell lung cancer. To date the tumor located very close to my heart has shrunk more than 50%.  I am receiving IMRT radiation after fighting for it with my insurance company Blue Shield of California.  The tumor is so close to my heart it is necessary I have the more advanced radiation procedure. I feel so bad for people who don't have the strength or anyone to back them like my husband when dealing with these insurance companies.  There hasn't been  day that has gone by since I was diagnosed that I don't cry.  I have a nine year old daughter and the thought of leaving her before she becomes an adult brings me great sorrow. My heart goes out to all of you having to deal with cancer. The fight of our lives! God bless.

Hello, glad you found us.  I have several friends that have survived SCLC for many years.  Are you getting chemo? 

Glad to hear the tumor near your heart has responded so well to the radiation.  That is good news.

This disease and treatment is quite a challenge emotionally and physically.   Please keep us posted.

We understand what you are going through.  We have been there.

Donna G

:)Hi, Donna firstly my heart goes out to you for the loss of your husband. It has to be heartbreaking.  I lost my Mother not even a year ago July 28, 2014. She was 84 and she had lived with us for the last eight years of her life. We had her on hospice care at the end and I guess I am lucky she took her last breath in my arms but it still breaks my heart every time I think of that moment. She didn't have cancer just a failing heart and I will miss her for the rest of my life. I sometimes am lost around the house without her here. I still haven't managed to touch her room. I was going to start sorting through it in January but being diagnosed with lung cancer sort of changed everything. Yes, I have been receiving chemo treatment since January and it sure seems to be working.  I only started radiation treatment two weeks ago. It all really tires me out.  Please forgive me if I am wrong but I believe you are a survivor of lung cancer as well as loosing your husband to the disease? I am not sure if I read it correctly?  The last year to say the least has been tough for my little family. I have always been the rock and still am trying to be. I drive myself to chemo, radiation, etc... take my daughter to school pick her up, make meals, take care of our four dogs, etc...  I did hire a cleaner to come in once a week and help me out. I can't do everything I use to do but I try to do as much as I can on my own keeps me going and not thinking of the fact that I actually have lung cancer.  It still breaks my heart because my daughter is so young. My husband travels often we make our living in Chicago. So, for him and her I do my best to keep things as normal as possible.  We found out I had lung cancer after being hospitalized on Dec 29 2014 with pneumonia. I had fluid in my lungs and almost a collapsed lung.  It was a very difficult time and I will never forget my first night in the hospital it was about midnight and a doctor walked in and informed very matter of fact that I not only had pneumonia but the Cat Scan found I had lung cancer, too! Words none of us wish to hear.  I really wanted my mom. I swear every time I go to chemo or radiation she is by my side. I talk to her all the time she was my best friend. Anyway, I am going on and on. I am thankful to meet someone who knows many who have survived. I was told I have a 25% chance and everything I read small cell lung cancer is the worst and very low survival rates. Brings me to tears daily just thinking about it. I really dislike the chemo makes me sick and weak for a good week after it. I start again next week. I can't wait to be cancer free and finished with chemo it is truly horrible to me. Lots of hugs, good health and smiles thank you for listening. Debbie

Debbie I am a survivor.  Before I even got married my husband's father died of lung cancer. So his mother had to come to our wedding alone. 

My journey started December 3, 1997. I had 2 different chemos and daily radiation.  The tumor  in my right upper lobe shrunk.

I was able to have surgery and after I had more chemo ( Cisplatin and Etopiside.) . I went to a local support group in St. Paul for lung cancer.

I met a wonderful women Connie who eventually introduced me to Katie who started this on line support group and murged with Lungevity because it also

was into educating and research and support for those with lung cancer.

Then  about 2 years ago my husband was told he had lung cancer.  It started with 2 tiny spots.  They were vicious and spread to his hip,

lymph nodes, spine the to his cerebral spinal fluid and I lost him.   We had been married 45 years.

I go to a grief group. 

I have been through this journey, have friends that have been through this journey, have lost loved ones to this journey .

Did I mention last year I retired working as an RN.  It seems many times at work I would find out my patient was on the journey or had a relative there.

I really want an early screening diagnostic tool.   Better targeted treatment and cures.  Best of all a way to prevent this from happening at all.

Wishing great results from your treatment like my good friend Janet that I met with small cell about 15 years ago.  She is still in " remission" 

Donna G

God bless you, Donna! That is so much to deal with and my heart goes out to you. You are a very strong and kind woman.  You give me great hope. I am fortunate it hasn't spread. I thank God every day for the life I have and only ask that I remain strong enough to see my little girl grow up. Again, thank you for your kindness. I wish you nothing but good health and smiles!

Hello Debbie!  I am so sorry about your diagnosis but am glad you found all of us here.  I am not familiar with small cell lung cancer.  My husband had non-small cell.  However I am very familiar with the insurance companies and the work it takes to get them to help pay for needed tests and medications.  I too had Blue Cross of California and every time I turned around they were denying us.  My husband was prescribed Tarceva and we had to pay for it ourselves.  It was over $3,000 a month.  It's just not right!

It seems you are a very strong young woman and I am happy you have your husband and daughter near you.  

Please keep us updated and also read our other forums.  There are many survivors out there!  If you have questions......please ask away  ((hugs))

Hi Debbie,

Sorry about the time it has taken me to reply to your posts,I dont have the same access to the internet I used to have.I am a seven year survivor of NSCLC,fully restored to health following chemo and surgery in 2008/9.I have recounted my friends story here a couple of times over the few years I have been writing in the LCSC forums,I think it would be of benefit to you to share it again.

Following the completion of my treatments for cancer in January 2009,I was searching for some kind of re-assurance that there were survivors of lung cancer out there somewhere,my initial search was not very successful it seems the internet was not really a good place to research LC survivor rates.One day I picked up a popular Glasgow evening newspaper called,"The Evening Times",in it, I chanced upon an article about a guy called Robert Lowe,he was about to start up a lung cancer support group with a lung cancer nurse called Penny Downer in a local hospital called Stobhill General.Well I did permit myself a smile over the irony of a lung cancer support group being founded  persons called Lowe and Downer.

Robert's story was fully described in the article,in 1993 he was dxd with SCLC,his prognosis was'nt good,two months, his doctors projected,Robert asked for the strongest chemo he could be prescribed to at least give him a chance at life.The regime chosen by his medical team required Robert to be hospitalised during his chemo administration,Robert's reaction to his chemo left him so poorly that on more than one occassion his family were called to his bedside as his Docs did'nt think he would see the next day.Remarkably,Roberts situation improved,and steadily he regained all his strength,enough to allow him to be discharged from hospital.Robert returned to full health and enjoyed living his life as he did prior to his dx.In 2003,he was then dxd with NSCLC, again he received treatments and went onto recover fully.

I was absolutely astounded reading Roberts story,I just had to meet him and I did,I joined his lung cancer support group,also meeting up with Penny and many other lung cancer survivors.Remarkably,Robert and I shared many things in common,we were born and brought up in the same district in Glasgow- Springburn,we went to the same schools,despite Robert being ten years my senior we even shared many of the same school teachers.Meeting Robert was a real turning point in my life,I had found a new confidence that I can survive this disease,my mood improved I found a new life energy. I returned to my lecturing post in a Glasgow College of Further Education.I can share with you my first day back at work,after a absence of nearly six months,I entered my class,my third year students were having a lecture given by one of my colleagues,when I entered the classroom,there was a silence momentarily,until one student enquired if I had dropped by to visit. Well no, I replied,I am here  now to take over this lecture,as my colleague left the room to allow me to continue,my class gave me a huge round of applause,gosh,even now I can hear it, it can still bring a lump to my throat.

Robert went onto live for almost 20 years with lung cancer,apparently he became the UKs longest survivor of duel SCLC and NSCLC. Robert sadly, passed away a couple of years ago,cancer free.I have appreciated every minute I had spent in his company.

I do of course wish you every bit of Roberts success with his cancer Debbie,I know its a hard road but I believe you have the strength and the courage to beat this.

Best Wishes. 

Hi Debbie, I'm sorry to have to meet you here but I am a care giver to my mom who also has sclc. I'm amazed that you say you drive yourself and do all those things while on the chemo and RT. My mom can barely get out of bed for most of the time in between rounds...could you tell me what chemo you are doing? Also you said you started RT now ...my moms drs are telling her to start after her fourth round but from everything I've read they say to do it after round one....did your drs say why they are doing it now? Sorry to bombard but I feel so helpless and get no answers from my oncologist....thank you and best wishes for a full recovery...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Debbie, WELCOME to the LCSC message boards, You will find a lot of support here. I hope you will keep posting and letting us know how you are doing and how your family is. I have small children as well and my heart goes out to you. 

• 3 weeks later...

One would think that with all the difficulties of a cancer diagnosis and treatment, insurance problems would go away.  From your post, I take it you battled your insurance company before treatment and that is a good thing.  Far worse would be denial of a claim after treatment.  I spent a lot of time crying after diagnosis and during treatment.  Then I joined a small cancer blog, then others, and found therapy in writing about my treatment and disease state.  This provided an additional benefit of allowing me to learn more about my disease.  Enjoy your family today.  Look at yourself in the mirror every morning.  If you don't see an expiration date on your forehead, enjoy the day! 

• 2 months later...