RE-introducing myself after 10 years...

SBeth

Hello everyone.  I'm sad to be back here, but I know from the time I spent here in 2004/2005 that there is no better place for support, so here I am. 

With a heavy heart, I share that my father was diagnosed this past week with lung cancer, stage 4, mets to the liver.  I'm sure I will be back to share more, listen more, help more and become a bigger part of this family again; but for now I am going to just digest all that I have learned and put on my armor for this fight again.

My best to all....

Beth

Beth,

I hope you and your father are adjusting to the news of the diagnosis.  I am a seasoned cancer survivor but the news of diagnosis still shocks me, partly because I know the nature of the disease but mostly because it drudges up unpleasant memories I'd rather forget.  At least you know the drill.  Suite up, lock and load, and proceed purposefully to engage the beast.  Keep us appraised of how he and you are doing.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you all for all of the Welcomes and Welcome Backs...I'm so sad to be here but it was so comforting to see so many old familiar faces.  

Dad endured his first round of CarboTaxol one week ago today and so far has not "hit the wall", but is still waiting for the side effects to present.  The view from the seat as a daughter is far different than that as a spouse and so much has changed in treatment that I feel like this is a whole new journey, while my siblings and mother still seem to think that I may be their resident "expert".  This is not a trip down memory lane that I wanted to take, yet here I am so I come back to all of you here very humbly and ask for your prayers and your guidance with a few questions...

My father is 71 years old and suffers from COPD prior to the LC diagnosis.  He has so far avoided the assistance of oxygen for fear that he will become dependant upon it for complete breathing.  Last night he found himself extremely out of breath while repeatedly making trips to the bathroom feeling the onset effects of chemo.  I think the fear of catching his breath has made him to decide having oxygen "readily available" is going to be a necessity.  However, when he was administered his first round of chemo last Tuesday, they also administered a dose of steroids thru the IV.  The first 48 hours post chemo he felt 10 years younger.  He had a GREAT appetite and did not have to use his inhalers at all.  As expected (and remembered) the euphoria from the steroids wore off and he is back to no appetite and hard to breath.  I'm going to go with him to his next oncology appointment  but can someone remind me....will they allow him an Rx for steroids for a short period of time if it could improve the quality of life for a long family weekend getaway?  Or could that do more damage than good?

As always, thank you to everyone here and prayers to all!

Beth,

Here are some ideas for improvement in breathing.  Does he have an RX for rescue inhalers?  I have a sustaining RX for Advair HFA that I use morning and evening but my doc suggested a rescue inhaler (Combivent) for times when I faced challenging breathing environments (like now with rag weed high).  Doc suggested I use the rescue inhaler before venturing outside and it works. Perhaps a dose before bed would ease his breathing.

I also use a CPAP machine normally prescribed for sleep apnea.  It takes getting use to but it really helps breathing.  He'd need an RX for the device but I suggest buying online.  Private message me if you are interested in sources I use because buying from a store can be really expensive.

I had an oxygen concentrator in my bedroom for a while but found I didn't need it.  I'm not sure I became reliant on oxygen.

Recall well the 'roid rush.

Stay the course.

Tom