Recently Diagnosed - Terrified

LindaSB

I am scheduled to start chemo on Wednesday and I am terrified of the side effects. The tumor in my right lung is mixed SCLC and androcarcinoma (sp). The SC has spread to one adrenal gland. Chemo seems to be only option (carboplatin and etoposide) (2 opinions). I am a grown woman and I feel like I'm being a hysterical baby about this. Just the thought of chemo is so horrible that it has affected my whole being! just need to know if anyone else has experienced this kind of debilitating fear. Even though I have a really great support group, I feel so very alone.

Has anyone had any experience with these two chemo drugs? Thank you for any support...

Linda,

You are a grown woman and have every right to feel frightened.  I'd suggest that you find out what side affects you should prepare for.  My dad is about to begin his treatment and we are setting him up with what he might need to get through each step.  Do something kind for yourself and know that there is support.

I wish you well,

Christine 

Linda,

Welcome here.  I do have experience with carboplatin.  I had 18 infusions of it in combination therapy with the chemo drug taxol.  I did endure adverse side effects but have benefited from a desired effect - extended life.

I've also had the debilitating fear you write of and unlike you, I tried to tough it out by myself.  That led to depression that complicated my treatment problems.  You are wise to participate in a support group.  Everyone in your support group will understand exactly what you are feeling; you'll fit right in.

Here is some information on chemotherapy including common side effects.  http://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options/chemotherapy

The only good thing about them is once you've experienced them, they will predictably repeat.  Thus if you schedule the onset of your side effects on a calendar, you'll be able plan your life around periods of discomfort. Let us know what you experience.  Many here have tips on how to deal with them.  For example, I learned from an on-line blog site that 1 bowl of steamed, plain white rice in the morning would eliminate all of the lower GI discomfort and it worked!

Stay the course.

Tom

My doublet was cisplatin/etopicide. Carboplatin is slightly easier on the system than cisplatin. I'm 5 years out from treatment.

You will be given steroids at the time of treatment and an Rx for some to take at home after. The nausea that used to accompany chemo is greatly reduces and quite manageable. Do stock up on some sports type drinks that will replace electrolytes washed out by extra fluids you need to drink. Your hair may thin with treatment but you have a good chance of not losing it.

If you feel any burning coldness or numbness in in your hands or feet report it to the dr. Also report any ringing in the ears if it develops.

Take lots of reading material, a laptop or tablet. I kept a 'chemo bag' that I kept stocked with snacks and Boost along with books. Your first day expect that they will give you fluids and the steroids by IV first. Then one chemo agent before the other. They will administer them slowly the first day and watch you closely for any sign of allergic reaction.

They will check your blood weekly to monitor platelet levels and to watch for signs that the chemo is injuring the kidneys. Drink lots of fluids. Don't freak out if your values dip low enough to require a transfusion. I had 2 during the course of treatment.

Don't be afraid to ask your dr for an anti anxiety med.

I was also scared about having the Chemo (cisplatin) Everyone reacts differently to the procedure. Listen to everyones advice and use what you think that applies to you. My problem was staying hydrated. I ended up going 3 times a week, in addition to the chemo, for fluids. I went to the hospital for this until I found out that the VNA would come to the house and give me the fluids. Before I started I went to the barbershop and had my hair cut very short. I did lose some of my hair but not all. My wife says that I have more hair now than before. There was 1 woman that was thrilled that she lost the hair on her legs and armpits. The staff in the infusion room were terrific and also the volunteers. No one knows what you are going through unless they have gone through it. The volunteers usually are cancer patients themselves.  Did you have a port installed/ That makes it easier. Chemo is scary, but it could save your life. After I started, my attitude was " bring it on" I can take what you give me. I have plenty of fight left in me. Take advantage of any type of support that is available, whether it is your relative or group or a social worker at the hospital.

Good Luck, stay strong and positive.

I too was very scared when I started chemo. I think for me it was because I had heard so many horror stories of others who had chemo. Those stories are in the past and now they have meds that can help with the side effects.

After my first treatment I felt great and didn't think I needed to take the meds I was given. Big mistake!! Take the meds and keep your chemo team updated on how you are doing. They will be able to help and maybe change your meds if they know what is going on. I found that a side effect of the steroid I was taking can make you very agitated. I had a cisplatin/vinerolbine combination which was switched to carboplatin for the last treatment. I found that alot easier than the cisplatin. Along with ringing in the ears, pay attention to any pain in the lower back when you are getting the chemo IV. It is not a common concern but a new nurse tried doing it too fast and kidneys began hurting.

The chemo was not near as bad as I was expecting and I'm sure you will be the same. Take care

I am scheduled to start chemo on Wednesday and I am terrified of the side effects. The tumor in my right lung is mixed SCLC and androcarcinoma (sp). The SC has spread to one adrenal gland. Chemo seems to be only option (carboplatin and etoposide) (2 opinions). I am a grown woman and I feel like I'm being a hysterical baby about this. Just the thought of chemo is so horrible that it has affected my whole being! just need to know if anyone else has experienced this kind of debilitating fear. Even though I have a really great support group, I feel so very alone.

Has anyone had any experience with these two chemo drugs? Thank you for any support...

Hi Linda, 

Welcome to the message boards I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Please know that we are here for you. You are not alone. Have you heard about the LUNGevity LifeLine Program? The Program connects you to a mentor who has (or is in) a similar situation as yourself. Please let me know if you would like for me to give my colleague a heads up that you may be seeking support. Here is the link to get started: http://www.LUNGevity.org/LifeLine

Cindy