Mobility Help

LizG

Hi everyone,

Since I last was active in the forum my mom (Stage IV Adenocarcinoma, diagnosed 9/14) has had a severe decline in her mobility and regularly needs to use a wheelchair. She has been experiencing a host of digestive side effects from her pain medication which have left her pretty frequently unable to eat. The weakness this causes is the main contribution to her overall mobility problems.

Mom is no longer able to navigate the stairs safely, so to take her to appointments and treatment we have to carry her down the stairs to the driveway to get her to the car. I am trying to find a way to have a wheelchair ramp installed at the house so that she can come in and out safely, especially as winter fast approaches. Right now the lowest quote is $4000... and can't be covered by insurance. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to find resources to help with the cost? 

Googling temporary wheelchair ramps I found some for sale starting at $100. There are some that come with a carrier that allows you to carry them with you in tour car. They can also be rented. Cancercare.org may have funds available yet. There's a questionnaire that you have to fill out first to pre qualify. IF they have any left.