Sensitivity of CT Scan SCLC

Aaron Y

Hi, there is lots of information published around the sensitivity of CT for screening in asymptomatic people.  I can't find anything to suggest the sensitivity of CT for SCLC when people are experiencing symptoms.  Does anyone know if this information is available?  Thanks

I don't know exactly what you are asking.  I do know the best test to diagnose SCLC

is a PET Scan ( Positron Emission Tomography)   Rather than just showing Anatomy in a CT

the PET shows function also.  It is the best tool to diagnose extensive and limited SCLC.

Hope someone of us can help you with your question.

Donna G

Thanks for the reply Donna.  I can see some stats that tells me that the sensitivity of CT for detecting SCLC in screening people is around 80%  This tells me that if a large number of people who were not showing any symptoms were given a CT scan and say 100 of this large group of people actually had SCLC then the CT would detect around 80 of them. I am guessing that if the group of people were showing symptoms of SCLC then more than 80% should be picked up, but I can't find anything to substantiate this and it would be interesting to see the percentage.  It seems really hard to arrange a PET scan as all the doctors seem to send you for an X Ray or CT scan, so are we missing a trick and could this explain why more SCLC is diagnosed at extensive stage?  I've tried to ask a chest physician and he said that if a CT was clear then there was no grounds to get a PET ordered.

Aaron Y

Aaron, I think it's about education. I knew I was high risk for LC. Mother died of it and I smoked 47 years. So, I asked my doctor to write the order for CT scan. Sure enough I had SCLC, stage 1a. I was asymptomatic, but knew the risks. There are clinical trials now to move from CT then PET to an MRI instead. That should be even better. Those with symptoms should have a much higher detection rate due to multiple and/or larger nodules. That's just my opinion.

Barb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The main features of sensitivity of CT scan SCLC are worsening cough, shortness of breath, and dyspnea. Other presenting symptoms includes Chest pain, Hoarseness, Malaise, Anorexia, Weight loss & Hemoptysis. May it will help you. 

Barb, I think the fact you had the good sense to get a scan shows how much awareness is increasing. Good that you caught it early, in much of the literature I have read it downplays the role of CT in SCLC screening. You are the first I have heard to catch it early through screening, you demonstrate the importance for getting checked if you have any concerns. I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Thanks Barb, that seems to fit in with the general stats.  Still great that you got checked out and got it sorted early.  There sill seems to be a big question around detecting early SCLC, I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to have been much done about this (there probably has, but I'm just not aware of it).