Good Day Everyone, 

I am caring for my 49 year old never smoking husband Jeff.  He was diagnosed July 31, 2015 with stage 4 NSCLC with EFGR mutation.  He is responding well to Tarceva.  He has three tumors in his lungs, lymph node activity and many, many metastasis to his bones. (A whole page worth.)  He had very few symptoms which is why it was caught so late.  Ultimately a back ache is how they found it.  However, once diagnosed, he became very sick very fast.  He lost 35 pounds and because very weak.  It was a very dark place for us both.   I am happy to report we have seen the Tarceva light and his quality of life and overall condition have improved significantly.  We are now to the place where we can see outside our bubble and we want to help the LC community.  Thanks for reading my post.  I look forward to getting to know everyone and their stores better.  

Katie (& Jeff)

PS we are in Fredericksburg, VA.  We are looking for other LC Community members in this area to collaborate with.   

post-11960-0-29904300-1452177020_thumb.j

Hi Katie, 

Welcome to the Lung Cancer Support Community Message Board. I am happy to read that Jeff is responding well to Tarceva. Thank you for sharing your story with us. You mentioned that you would like to collaborate with other in your area. LUNGevity has a wonderful National HOPE Summit every May in Washington, D.C. I know that is a couple of hours away from you, however its the perfect opportunity to meet other who know exactly what you are going through, learn about the latest in treatment options and most of all be filled with hope! LUNGevity offers a limited amount of travel grants to new attendees. I hope you will apply and I look forward to meeting you! http://lungevity.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=583

Cindy

Katie,

Thank you for telling us good news.  We long to hear it but it is very rare indeed on a lung cancer survivor site.  

Molecular Profiling is a fantastic new scientific discovery to identify genetic mutations in cancer cells and attack them with targeted drugs that disrupt the mutation, thus all cancer cells throughout the body.  I celebrate your husband's success with Tarceva.  I firmly hope the political establishment takes note of the fact that research and new discoveries can have a dramatic improvement on the lives of lung cancer survivors.  Unfortunately, we have this bias of self inducement hovering over our heads.

Celebrate your husbands treatment success for it brings hope in so many ways to our community.  It may also serve as a spur to move the political and societal road blocks that limit effective research from my disease that affects and kills more people than any other.

Welcome here.  I truly hope your husband benefits to the extent that treatment produces significant, enjoyable and productive life after lung cancer.

Stay the course.

Tom