Carbs cause Lung Cancer?

Donna G

Yesterday on Dr. Oz show they said that people that eat a lot of Carbs increase their risk of Lung Caner.

They cause an increase In the hormone Insulin .  The high level of Insulin sends a signal to lung cells to grow.

They also said if you must eat a carb at least it should be one with fiber to slow the absorption and stimulation of

insulin.  If you do eat low carb diet it may cause constipation. Fiber helps that problem also.

Has anyone heard this before? 

Donna G

I watch Dr. Oz alot, but generally take what he says with a grain of salt. I think he provides a lot of anectodal information, but much of what he says, such as carbs increasing your risk for lung cancer, have not been put through a lot of rigorous scientific studies. I wouldn't believe it until I saw the scientific studies showing the correlations. That is just my sciencd background talking.

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I don't watch him, but I can tell you that the Last time a friend of mine watched him he got a question from a woman in the audience. She was probably in her mid 40s and told him that she had been dealing with a terrible cough for Months and had even spit up blood last week. She was very nervous and asked him if he thought it might be lung cancer. He asked if she ever smoked and when she said no he told her that she couldn't Possibly have lung cancer then!! She was too you and a non-smoker so there was no way she could have come down with lung cancer!!

Like I said, this was the Last time my pal ever laid eyes on his show!! This pal has heard me nag , um - er ~ I mean inform people about LC and knows that anyone with lungs could get it, even a young non-smoker.

Be well Donna :-P :-P 

Mary  

• 1 month later...

I read medical journals that cite studies with statistically valid data sets and analysis. These are peer reviewed. When I first started "reading into" lung cancer, I needed to google every other word but eventually the medical terms settle in.

I've learned that cancer is a disease of our genes. Each of us has the genetic predisposition to have any kind of cancer. What is not well understood is what triggers the cancer gene to activate. Carbohydrates? Maybe but I've never read of that trigger.

Stay the course.

Tom

I hear the *carbs trigger cancer* thing a lot; not from physicians, but from people and books that promote alternative methods to cure or prevent cancer. 

Studies are being done to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of low-carb diets during cancer treatment. Here is one example. http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials/search/view?cdrid=709592&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=14982876

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this year, NBC News had a story that MD Anderson Cancer Center is researching a possible link between a high glycemic index diet and lung cancer, but it was in the very early stages of testing in lab animals.  I haven't heard anything further on this, nor have I had a chance to do any further research.  

• 8 months later...

I wouldnt mind betting that carbs can cause cancer and thats why they say diabetics are at higher risk of cancer and my mother and brother and now me all diabetic and lung cancer so i try to limit carbs not only to control my diabetes but to hopefully slow down the lung cancer ......just thinking about a pet scan where they inject a solution containing glucose and any metabolically active cells will light up while the glucose. Is present

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Mally,

The PET scan works because cancer cells have 5 or more times the metabolic rate than normal cells.  So, if one fasts and then injects glucose tagged with radioactive iodine, the cancer cells quickly consume a large quantity of the glucose leaving the radioactive iodine residual.  The PET apparatus measures the iodine. That is the PET scan tie to carbohydrates -- only glucose -- and cancer.

That said, it is a good thing to control carbohydrate intake.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 2 months later...

I am trying to understand more about how cancer works within the body... very ambitious, but I would like to start dipping my toes in so that I can make myself more formidable against scams and baseless health claims.

Is there something I could read that is a good starter guide on the type of cell growth and body functions around cancer (of course not the causes but what is happening in the body). And I would also like to know more about the carbohydrate angle if anyone has anything about how carbohydrates affect the body (the types of chemical reactions on the cellular level). 

It seems like people talk about these things very vaguely, and I cannot tell if that is because they don't understand the particulars of the science, or they understand that no one else knows enough to follow along. I would just like to be more informed so that I can know what questions to ask, and know what types of answers display a lack of honesty/understanding.