Glad to find you

Greetings!

I just recently came across your website & have found it very therapeutic to read of other's journeys and stories of survival as well as learning of the challenges along the way. I was diagnosed in August 2015 with stage IIIb inoperable adenocarcinoma of the left lung, which had completely collapsed. I was treated with Carboplatin/Taxol while receiving 33 radiation treatments to which I had a positive response. Unfortunately, in March, it was found in my axillary lymph nodes, for which I had surgery and 27 more radiation treatments. Went for a routine CT scan in May, and found that my left lung had again collapsed. Of course, I was positive there was another big old tumor in there, but a bronchoscopy found a mucous plug and a little weird-looking area (probably from radiation) that a needle biopsy showed no evidence of disease. I'll have my next scan on Monday; hopefully this time I'll get good news and go back to normal surveillence. This cancer stuff is certainly a rollercoaster! I want to thank everyone who has shared their triumphs & tragedies, helpful advice, coping methods and very good advice about LIVING with cancer. One great positive that I totally did not expect was getting rid of my (fake) blonde hair...I loved being bald (I am a tad weird, I guess!) except for the loss of insulation during the winter! I'm now rocking a gray (I call it silver) mini-mohawk and may never have hair longer than an inch or so again...what a relief! No wonder you guys can get ready to go so much faster than us...I love skipping the blowdryer, curling iron, styling stuff, hairspray (I could go on, but I won't); what freedom! Thanks again to everyone who has shared; it has already helped me a lot & I'll continue to check in.

Ruthie

Ruthie,

Have seen several of your posts and now note your introduction and I say - welcome!

You've had a tough treatment time but from the sound of things, it was worth it.  Great news on the needle biopsy results.

A silver mini-mohawk hair style sounds interesting.  Perhaps it will start a trend!

Now you'll settle down to a period of scheduled scans to monitor your condition.  Here is hoping they all reveal NED!

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you, Tom.  I must tell you that you are somewhat of a celebrity at our house...we have a 34-year-old daughter who, due to a brain injury, functions at about a 6 year old level. She was, understandably terrified by my diagnosis. Since finding this site, I keep telling her about you with close to the same diagnosis still thriving after 12 years. It has really gotten through to her & she asks about your regularly.   This is one of those times that you have a great positive effect in people's lives that you aren't even aware of!

I always enjoy reading your posts...keep up the good work! 

Hi Ruthie,

Thank you for sharing your story--your post brought a big smile to my face! I'm happy to hear that LCSC has been such a positive part of your life. I am sorry that it has been quite a roller coaster for you, but you seem like an incredibly strong person and role model to your daughter.

Stay in touch!

Lauren

--

Digital Community Manager

LUNGevity Foundation

Hi Lauren,

Appreciate your kind words. I will keep checking regularly; I always come away with something positive. I go to the oncologist tomorrow to find out the results of the CT scan I had done on Monday...hopefully my lung is back and no nasty surprises! So far, though, I am grateful that, even when the results haven't always been great, there has always been, so far, a way to treat the complication & get back on track.

Again, thanks for the good thoughts...glad  you guys are here!

Ruthie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much, Julie! Praying for you as you begin your journey; I really believe you've been led to a good place here. I have found so  much inspiration as well as information & practical advice. There seems to always to be someone who offers exactly what you may be needing at any particular moment. 

Ruthie