Medicare plans....Help!

Cheryncp123

I will be turning 65 in December and am trying to make a decision on which Medicare supplement/alternative to go with. I am stage 4 adenocarcinoma ALK positive and am taking Xalkori. Any feedback on what plans you are on and how well they cover this very expensive drug would be appreciated. I live in Alabama.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to suggest a couple of additional ideas.  Most states have a program to guide Medicare-eligible individuals and provide counseling.  I would suggest contacting this group in Alabama.  They can give give you information regarding Medicare Part D drug plans in your state.  

Alabama Dept. Of Senior Services

(For Insurance Counseling, Legal Assistance, Nutrition Sites, Other SHIP Activities)
www.adss.alabama.gov 
Phone
(877)425-2243
Write
770 Washington Ave RSA Plaza Ste. 570
P.O. Box 301851
Montgomery, AL 36130

It also looks like there are 3 companies currently providing Part D plans- here is a link to the DOI's web page with additional links for Medicare information:

http://www.aldoi.gov/Consumers/SeniorHealthInsurance.aspx

Hope this helps.

I've heard the supplement "Part G" is the best.  I don't know if they cover the drugs you need but it's work looking into.  I have a neighbor who is receiving chemo (not sure which combo) and it's being paid for.  Her annual deductible is only $149.  That's excellent! 

I am shocked to hear that Blue Cross denied coverage of his medication. I have had no problem with them paying for mine at this point but with it costing them over $14,000.00 a month I am sure it won't be long before that ends. I am looking at part F & G but will need a prescription plan also.