I'm scared and confused

TerriRose

Found out in may I have stage 4 small cell lung cancer, I just finished my 4th treatment  , feeling pretty good ... Until I read my CT. scan.. Which I don't understand.

It doesn't sound very good, I won't see my oncologist for 3 more weeks. I started treatment at UTMB Galveston but have now gotten into MD Anderson for my 4th treatment. I'm hopeful but in a daze on what's to come next . :(

looking forward to all the info I can get and support would mean so much !

Terri welcome here.

I know well about the daze you are in.  This is a good place to learn about folks who've been right where you are and have survived and have fulfilling lives.  Read some of our survival stories.  I'm a 12-year survivor and there are many here like me.  If we can live, so can you.

So, how does one face the daze?  I've found spending time to learn about my disease to be effective.  Knowledge for a lung cancer patient is power.  Here is a good source of information on CT scans: https://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/diagnosing-lung-cancer/imaging-tests

I'm a Texan also and know many who've benefited from the treatment expertise at MD Anderson.  So, you are in a good place.  You'll have many questions and this forum is a great place to ask.  Tell us about the type of lung cancer you have and folks on this site with the same type will be able to share their treatment experience.  Tell us also the name of the chemotherapy drugs you are receiving.  Again, we might be able to help you anticipate effects and side-effects.  

You are not alone in this battle.  We understand what you are facing and most importantly many of us have survived to blog about it.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you for the welcome ! 

I don't know where to begin, I was struggling to breathe which took me to the ER .. Transported to UTMB where it was confirmed a large mass was blocking my airway.. Started chemo right away .

Etoposide and cisplatin? Made a huge difference after I was released home.. About a week later I could breathe again!  No more oxygen. 18 days later 2nd round for 3 days  .. Feeling really good!

3rd round was switched to carboplatin  because of possible hearing damage, started 4th at MDA .. Feeling bad at that point .. Guess it all hit me at once .. 2 days out of 4th and feeling ok, think steroids helped a lot . Looks like  from first CT right side mass wrapped around thorax area? Lower lobe , lymph nodes adrenal gland liver.. Spreading:( new CT sounds worse!

it was uplifting on new doc visit.. Options! Immniotheraphy? Radiation... Research called Gemini moon project..surgery ?  

I just don't know at this point, my head is swimming !

sorry for the long narrative :( I know there are gaps in my details and I sound rambling ! But.... Grateful to vent.

Hello TerriRose, welcome.  Sorry to hear about your Lung Cancer but please keep your hope.  I am so glad that your Doctor got your treatment going quickly.

I had lots of Cisplatin and Etopiside and daily radiation .  It did shrink my tumor .  I was Stage 3 B .  Then I was able to have my R upper lobe removed. and after

I had more Cisplatin and Etopiside.   Back in 1997 and 1998 there were not as many options and there are now.  Thankfully I survived and am still here now. 

I you want more info I wrote it all , look in Survival Stories posted 7-3-04  "Through the Valley and to the Mountain." 

Please keep us posted on how you are doing and any changes in treatment.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Donna G

TerriRose,

This is the place to vent!

Glad the folks at MD Anderson are presenting options.  Don't know anything about Gemini Moon research but you are now at one of the best treatment and research hospitals in the world.  

Here is some information on lung cancer immunotherapy - https://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options/immunotherapy

Let us know how your diagnostics and treatment progress.  And, of course, this is the place for questions.  

Stay the course.

Tom