Reoccurrence of nsc lung cancer

Kathleen Melendez

Yes  I actually had stage 2A, had surgery and chemo... app 6 months l a terrible had e m larger lymph nodes in chest that were positive, I then had radiate x30 and chemo  x5. Dr believes it was there before but to small to show  on any scans...poo etc scan done one minute nth ago..no evidence of disease... another one in 3 months.. very scary though.. good luck.   Merilee

Kathleen,

Yes - I had 4 recurrences.  One after surgery and three after chemo.  Stereotactic radiation (CyberKnife) finally dealt with the hold-out tumor.  Lung cancer is persistent. 

Stay the course.

Tom

They say in is a nickel size, same cancer, same area. Two years after radiation and chemo. Went to see a surgeon he said he would feel more comfortable if I went to the Moffiitt Cancer center or Shands, a surgeon that was more experienced with a radiated lung. Of course these big cancer centers do not take my insurance. Went to see my radiologist and he thought well maybe it is a bacterial infection, after meds and a follow up PET, it is cancer. He said no surgery because too close to my aorta, I am kinda confused about this because no one ever said that to me, so maybe he was meaning the scar tissue? I am seeing the oncologist this Thursday to see what his plan is. His office called this morning stating he wanted a MRI done. I do not know why???? I guess I will find out Thursday.

Kathleen,

Sorry I missed your follow-up message.  Perhaps your MRI is complete.  I hope you asked him why.  Surgeon, radiologist and oncologist in that order.  Hopefully things will get on track.

I've experienced surgical reluctance to operate on a radiated lung.  My surgery, post conventional radiation, almost killed me.  But, there is a type of directed radiation called stereotactic radiation (sometimes called CyberKnife) that might proves useful for addressing this recurrence.  I hope you and your oncologist talked about this procedure.

Let us know the results of your consultation.\

Stay the course.

Tom