mikdoh

You are right.  I just checked.  Why don't you start a small cell lung cancer topic?

I've seen more recent posts from small cell survivors but they are in other forums (Introduce Yourself, Share Your Lung Cancer Story or the General discussion forums).  You might want to scroll through these to see information by a small cell survivor.

Stay the course.

Tom 

• 5 months later...

I am new but it's 2017 and I'm feeling it. I have SCLC that is metastatic. I sometimes, like tonight, struggle with depression or anxiety over the idea of death even though I'm saved. I guess it is the fear of the unknown. Of course then there is also the just "not knowing" how long you will live, helping family and friends to understand what it is you have. Sometimes there feelings overwhelm me too. There just seems to be so much to deal with at one time. I start my third day of my third session of chemo tomorrow morning. I have handled it all very well with very little side effects. I will be tested in a couple of weeks to see how the chemo has done so far. It can all feel so overwhelming at times. ugh, I hate cancer!! 

Paula,

I hate cancer also.  I won't blow smoke at you.  While in treatment, I experienced exactly the feelings you describe.  In my third line treatment, after a failed surgery, 2 more surgeries to correct the failed one, 3 stint insertions, and two cancer recurrences to my remaining lung, I was near the end of my rope.  Yes I also have faith in a spiritual sense but even that profession and reliance left the human side of me depressed and afraid.  What improved my attitude?  Well here is the short version in the second paragraph.

I also discovered an essay by Dr. Stephen J. Gould who contracted a almost nearly fatal abdominal mesothelioma and was very upset over his survival projections.  I am a student of Statistics but I'd forgotten important aspects about the meaning of a mean or median, especially as it concerned my lung cancer survival projection.  I wrote a blog about it and you may gain some insight here.  In that blog, there is a link  to a youtube reading of Gould's essay that I often listen to.  Since becoming acquainted with Dr. Phillip Berman's attitude of living the life one has, and Dr. Gould's explanation of the inadequacy of Statistics and a predictor of survival, my attitude towards my disease and my focus on life changed.

Welcome here.  As you read about us, individually and collectively, you will find many of us are long tenured survivors of late stage diagnosed lung cancer.  My personal message of hope for you is if I can live, so can you.

Stay the course.

Tom