Introduction. Beth from Florida

Beth

My name is Beth Leonhardt and I am a caregiver for my husband, Kent, who is fighting squamous cell lung cancer. He is on oxygen and has fought the disease since 2012. He recently took 30 radiation treatments with 6 chemos of carbo & taxil and has developed radiation pneumonitis. He was hospitalized twice because he kept desaturating. The doctors finally prescribed 60 mg of steroids. He is feeling better but it is rough. Has anyone had the radiation pneumonitis?  

Welcome Beth,

I've had both radiation pneumonitis (inflammation of tissues in the lung caused by radiation treatments) and low oxygen saturation rates.  Both eased after a course of steroids and a couple of weeks of oxygen therapy.  That was almost 13 years ago and my cause was exactly the same treatment regime as your husband - 30 radiation treatments and six infusions of taxol and carboplatin.  I also was prescribed a "rescue" inhaler that I believe also had steroid medication.   Further, I'm a squamous cell lung cancer survivor. 

I've venture your next milestone is an end of treatment scan to determine the effect of radiation and chemotherapy on Kent's lung cancer.  I hope he gets clean scans!

This is a good place to ask questions.  Many of us have been down the same treatment path as Kent and we are still here.

Stay the course.

Tom