Non Small Cell adenocarcinoma. Stage 2A

Merilee

I am curious for all of you that have non small cell adenocarcinoma stage 2A... Seems many sites I go to. There aren't many with stage 2A like myself..I had surgery last year to have a.lung resection done with a couple lymph.nodes positive so I had chemo following the durgery.Approximately 7 months later they found some lymph nodes in mid chest positive. They think.it was there.before but to small to see on a scan..    30 radiation treatments and chemo completed in May..pet scan in July...no cancer detected....exhale.. My question is to all of you scan the same adenocarcinoma stage 2A..what treatments have you had ?  Was it successful?  Any local recurrence? Future treatments? Or periodically having scans every three months like me?? Just trying to connect and see how others in my situation and  Stage are doing??   Much appreciated.. Thank you Merilee

Hi, Merilee,

I will share your post and see if we can connect you with someone who may be in a similar situation. I'll check back in with you next week!

Until then, take care!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hi Merilee.  Not exactly what you asked for but close !

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 B lung cancer in December 1997.  The tumor was in my R upper lobe, pressing on nerves going down my arm

and on the lining of the lung.  I had chemo-- Cisplatin, Etopiside and daily radiation, it shrunk and I was able to have my R upper lobe removed.  After

surgery I had more Cisplatin and Etopiside.   I had scans every 3 months for a while than they backed down finally to once a year.  After many years they quit that also.

Back in 1997 I thought I had a death sentence.  Guess what !  I am still here !  It is possible.

Donna G

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, Donna G said:

Hi Merilee.  Not exactly what you asked for but close !

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 B lung cancer in December 1997.  The tumor was in my R upper lobe, pressing on nerves going down my arm

and on the lining of the lung.  I had chemo-- Cisplatin, Etopiside and daily radiation, it shrunk and I was able to have my R upper lobe removed.  After

surgery I had more Cisplatin and Etopiside.   I had scans every 3 months for a while than they backed down finally to once a year.  After many years they quit that also.

Back in 1997 I thought I had a death sentence.  Guess what !  I am still here !  It is possible.

Donna G

Dear Donna G -

Thank you for your post!  Until today, I have been unable to find anyone with a similar cancer journey.  I have very supportive family, friends and community for the most part - so I am very grateful for all of them.  The town I live in is very small, and their is no support group.  I have been on a waiting list for over a month and half to see a therapist... I have felt very alone! 

YOUR STORY - WOW!  Mine is almost exactly the same!  Diagnosed on July 14, 2016 with adenocarcinoma, NSCLC, with an approximate 5x5x4.5 cm tumor in my right upper lung.  Butted up against the middle of my chest very high and very large.  Right upper lobectomy performed on Aug 10th.  In addition, they removed 6 lymph nodes from my chest and 5 of the 6 had metastatic cancer cells. Luckily, this was all caught early; it had not spread any further.   I just completed (yesterday) my 3rd of 4 rounds of chemo.  Then I will do five straight weeks of radiation therapy.  My burning question is this...  did you have targeted radiation on your center chest?  What type of symptoms did you have?  Did you have any permanent heart or lung damage / problems?   My mother died shortly after her radiation treatments, but her cancer had spread.  Unfortunately, she also had pulmonary fibrosis as well, which I do too, but mine hasn't spread too bad yet.  My biggest fear is that I will have permanent damage to other organs, and my lungs are already compromised.  Thank you so much for your info, this has made my day!!   The prognosis they gave me is about a 28% chance of survival, but I don't let that bother me. I will fight every day, regardless of that number, for my husband, kids and grand baby, plus my sisters and friends!  :) 

To answer your burning question-- my tumor was in the upper right corner of my right upper lobe.  That is where the radiation was given. 

It was not aimed at my heart at all.  That lobe of lung was removed and no other lobe of lung was damaged.  I have never been diagnosed

with fibrosis or COPD .    For me it is nearly 19 years ago since I was  diagnosed !!!!!  

Best wishes for you, Donna G

• 2 weeks later...

I knew I was high risk. Insurance pays 100% of a low dose CT SCAN to find any lung cancer. We all must be proactive. I mean that! I made an appt with my Primary care doc. As soon as she walked in the room, I told her to write the order. I had a "feeling."
A month later they were cutting out, via the Da Vinci, my stage 1a right lower lobe cancer. I don't believe, nor did my surgeon, in a wedge resection. Get it out of me!!!

Now been over a year with clean scans. I'm told I'm cured. My node was 1.5 cm. They took the right lower lobe.

Donna g - what an encouraging post! Thank you for sharing.  My mother just completed her second round of chemo for stage 3a lung cancer. Her tumor in her right upper lung reduced by a third, now making surgery possible. (Thank god). The thoracic surgeon and oncologist want to give her one or two more chemo sessions to see if the tumor will reduce further. I'll keep you posted. God bless you and your next 19 years.