Lung cancer met to liver - options?

Jerry-06

I was diagnosed 2.5 yrs ago with non-small cell lung.  Had radiation and chemicals.  Radiation appears to have worked as no sign of active cancer in lungs after 2 years.  But as a Christmas present, my latest CT/PT and biopsies indicated squamous cell lung cancer moved into my liver.

Oncologist says only chemicals will work with my biopsy results (tested for immunology therapy and gene therapy but no correct markers).  She prescribed 4-6 treatments of carboplatin and taxol.  But chemicals unpleasant at best and will only extend life expectancy from 6 mos to 12 mos.  Not much benefit.

Anyone out there with this particular set of problems?  Any other option that you know of?  Many thanks for any info. 

Jerry,

Welcome here.  I've experienced 18 treatments of the very same chemicals (taxol and carboplatin) you are prescribed.  No, they did not eradicate my squamous cell NSC lung cancer but held it in check until something came along that did.  In my case, it was precision radiation (CyberKnife) that just was approved for lung cancer patients during my 4th line treatment. 

No side effects are not pleasant, but for me, they were much preferred to the alternative of no treatment.  I'd ask several questions of your doctor: (i) does he have a treatment strategy beyond taxol and carboplatin, (ii) is this strategy inclusive of precision radiation, and (iii) does the strategy involve immunotherapy (as Tylalla suggests). 

If you scan our profile information, you'll discover that many of us are long tenured survivors and have been just where you are now.  

Stay the course.

Tom

Jerry,

After a years worth of surgery involving removal of my right lung and three subsequent surgeries repairing a fistula in my airway, tumors metastized to my remaining lung. I had my surgery after first line radiation and chemo to shrink the tumor. 

With mets to my remaining lung, treatment options were limited to chemotheapy.  I had 6 cycles of taxol and Carboplatin infused every 3 weeks. That knocked the 3 tumors down, but one returned to my left lung. I again had 6 cycles of taxol and Carboplatin in combination therapy with the oral drug Tarceva. The tumor was knocked back, but returned again. Fortunately, a new form of radiation was FDA approved for lung cancer patients and this is what finally achieved my no evidence of disease (NED).

So yes, metastasis after treatment is not unusual and tends to narrow treatment options.

Stay the course.

Tom