Newly diagnosed

bmalcom

My name is Brandon, I'm 29 years old and living in California.  I have just been diagnosed with stage 3a NSCLC adenocarcinoma in my upper right lung.  I begin treatment next week of radiation and chemo(taxol/carbo) for 7 weeks.  I don't see many others my age with this diagnoses and I really don't know what to expect, I have never smoked a day in my life and this diagnosis has kind flipped my world upside down.  

Brandon, This diagnosis will flip anyone's world upside down, but a 29 year old? I am sorry because I know how stunned you must be. Stage 3a means it is confined to that top lobe on your right, correct? Did they tell you why it is not operable? I cannot tell you what to expect from radiation because I was not a candidate for that either. I have stage IV NSCLC adenocarcinoma in both lungs, so I have only had chemotherapy, but I also had carboplatin and paclitaxel. Will you have both concurrently for seven weeks? How many times per week?  It sounds like they are going after it very aggressively. My chemo treatments were three weeks apart, so perhaps someone with an experience closer to yours can tell you more about what to expect. I had a relatively mild experience. They do also administer pre-treatments like Benadryl and zofran to try to head off the nausea and other side effects. After an infusion, I was tired, sometimes a headache, some nausea, but not vomiting, did not lose my appetite, but definitely craved some foods and couldn't even look at others. My hair started falling out two weeks after the first treatment, so first we just cut it really short, then just shaved it. I guess you have learned that smoking is not the only reason people get lung cancer. You are so young. Did you talk with the oncologist about whether it might be helpful to know if exposure to something in your environment was a factor? Were you in the service or do you know if radon gas has been detected in an area where you lived for a long time? I'm sure you will receive more helpful responses, but do keep us posted. Wishing you the best possible treatment experience and outcome.

Cindy

Hello Brandon,

A lung cancer diagnosis at a young age for a nonsmoker definitely sends all of your thoughts and emotions for a whirlwind. I too am a young non smoker diagnosed last year so I can commiserate with you. I am glad you found this site, there are many knowledgeable lung cancer warriors with great advice. Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way. ✨

~Yovana

Hi Brandon,

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis Of course you're in a whirlwind. It's insanity, to think of one so young to be diagnosed with NSCLC. I was diagnosed with the same stage at age 40 last year. Compared to you, we're in different dinosaur eras. :) 

After you've had a moment to catch your breath, do you mind my asking what places you at IIIA, and if you recall, why they said you're not a candidate for surgery? If you are at all unclear about their reasoning, it's worth having the physicians explain this in more detail. 

Do you have supportive people in your life? 

Take care, and hope to hear back from you soon.

Meloni

Hi, Brandon,

I was diagnosed IIIA in 2003 at 34. Lifelong nonsmoker. I had surgery, then radiation and two months of Iressa followed by years of monitoring.  After five years, I saw the oncologist once a year. 

At the time I was diagnosed, chemo was not standard after (or before) surgery. 

Eleven years later at my annual checkup, the oncologist touched a spot on my neck that hurt and he was concerned. Long story short, it was back. I've been restaged to IV. I've had surgery to clean out what could be removed in my neck, and gamma knife to treat a brain tumor. I've also gone through another round of radiation and chemo. 

My oncologist sent out for genetic testing and I'm a happy mutant. I am currently taking Xalkori and holding.

Biggest thing to learn is when it is too big to handle alone and talk to your doctor about anti-anxiety medication and/or antidepressants. Get the feeling of panic controlled so your brain can process the information you are being given.

Hang in there, you're still lucky, hold on to that. Cowboy up. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/7/2017 at 2:20 PM, AZhikeryogirunner said:

Hello Brandon,

A lung cancer diagnosis at a young age for a nonsmoker definitely sends all of your thoughts and emotions for a whirlwind. I too am a young non smoker diagnosed last year so I can commiserate with you. I am glad you found this site, there are many knowledgeable lung cancer warriors with great advice. Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way. ✨

~Yovana

Thanks Yovana, may I ask how you are doing since your diagnosis?  I finished 7 weeks of chemo and radiation followed by a right upper lobectomy.  I'm 6 weeks post-op and waiting to hear if the doctors think i should do more chemo or if I'm clear.

On 3/7/2017 at 4:30 PM, Meloni said:

Hi Brandon,

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis Of course you're in a whirlwind. It's insanity, to think of one so young to be diagnosed with NSCLC. I was diagnosed with the same stage at age 40 last year. Compared to you, we're in different dinosaur eras. :) 

After you've had a moment to catch your breath, do you mind my asking what places you at IIIA, and if you recall, why they said you're not a candidate for surgery? If you are at all unclear about their reasoning, it's worth having the physicians explain this in more detail. 

Do you have supportive people in your life? 

Take care, and hope to hear back from you soon.

Meloni

Hello Meloni, sorry for such a late reponse.  I was 3a because it had spread to a center lymph node.  I finished 7 rounds of chemo and 35 radiation sessions concurrently and 6 weeks ago had an upper right lobectomy. They removed all the cancer but the doctors are still wondering if i should do a couple more rounds of chemo to be on the safe side.   

21 hours ago, bmalcom said:

Thanks Yovana, may I ask how you are doing since your diagnosis?  I finished 7 weeks of chemo and radiation followed by a right upper lobectomy.  I'm 6 weeks post-op and waiting to hear if the doctors think i should do more chemo or if I'm clear.

Hi Brandon,

I am doing great! It's been 13 months since my diagnosis and surgery and last month I was cleared to resume my normal physical activities! So I have been hiking a lot lately!  And I am now promoting the Breathe Deep Walk in Arizona for October! I am also participating in the Arizona Lung Force walks coming up in September and November. Good luck with your follow-up! I will keep you in my prayers! ✨

~Yovana