Waiting too long?

Lbelle78

Morning guys, I feel like I have been asking so many questions and I appreciate the support of everyone. I am going to need a Lobectomy soon, as I have shared. After a meeting with a surgeon Friday, I am seeking out a 2nd opinion for potential VATS or robotic, which this surgeon does not do. I was able to get an appt. for April 10th with a surgeon at UAB where I live in Alabama to discuss this. He only consults in the office Mondays and performs surgeris and classes the other days. Our first surgeon said we had a little time to research this and make the best choice, but my family is going nuts wanting me to schedule an open surgery right away rather than go to the 2nd opinion out of fear of waiting, which I understand. I do not want to drag this out, just feel comfortable with my choice, especially after reading everyone's experiences. Does this seem like an unreasonable amount of time in other's experiences?

Hi Lbelle. Successive CT scans showed that my tumor was very slow growing. My pulmonologist said that it needed to come out, but there was no big rush. I opted to go on a long-planned vacation and so it was a couple of months before I got in to see the surgeon, None of the medical team seemed to think this was a problem.  In contrast, I had another cancer (not lung) that was a very aggressive type  Everybody dropped everything and I was in surgery within about a week of the diagnosis. So I guess it depends on what the tumor is doing. If your doctor(s) say it's OK to wait to get a second opinion, it probably is. 

It is important that YOU feel comfortable with your choice. Not to say that what your family thinks/feels doesn't matter, but it's your body. Can you get everybody to take some deep breaths, pray, exercise, meditate, talk to their pastor or spiritual advisor or counselor or whatever might help them calm and be a support to you?

For me, it's important to learn as much as I can and make my own decsions about my treatment. I have also learned that the way  I talk to others about my cancer and the way I talk to myself about it also (if that makes any sense) is important.

Hang in there Lbelle. It's your life, your decisions, your story.

Good advice BridgetO, and thank you for it. They are so so emotional and scared, but thankfully although not happy about it, I believe are going to support my decision to wait for this appt. Yes, the surgeon told my husband and father that we do not need to be in emergency mode, to step back and research. My husband is the pastor, lol, so he feels out of his element with it being us now instead of others. Our church family has been awesome, bringing meals and such while I've been regaining strength after my pneumonia and bronch. I've been so scared that surgery is the end rather than a beginning because of the unknown, but you are so right about how we view and talk to others and ourselves. Thanks so much for the support!!

Hi Lbelle ,

I had asked my Surgeon if we could wait 3weeks for my surgery . I had been sick for several months and I was trying to clear up my lungs . He didn't have any problem with waiting . I will be interested in hearing about your second opinion . And praying for peace comfort and wisdom . Suepm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Suepm for that. It is good to know. My pulmonologist's nurse called today and wanted to know if I'd scheduled the surgery yet, so I told her about my situation. She said that the doctor I spoke to has notoriously bad bedside manner, though he is a good surgeon, but that is the group of surgeons they generally recommend to everyone. She recommended another surgeon in the group we also contacted and said she would help me with getting information to our 2nd opinion choice too if needed. Crazy times. 

Lbelle,

I join others to suggest you've got plenty of time for a second opinion.  Bridget said it best -- you need to be comfortable with your surgeon, bedside manner and all things considered.  Take your time, get a doctor you trust, and....

Stay the course.

Tom

I feel i was left too long between ct scan showing a nodual that had grown slightly that had been stable for 2 yrs before and was seen on 13th oct last yr and had a pet scan in early november and a biopsy late november and told it would be just surgery and curable so surgery on jan 5th showed clear borders from the lobectomy and the small wedge resection on same lung and then i got a phone call telling me that there were cancer cells in 7/20 lymph nodes so i started chemo on feb 16th ...i often think if the surgery was done sooner after the biopsy that it may not have spread to the nodes.but i guess ill never know ......and i wonder if the biopsies set cells loose to metastasize ...

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

April 10th is not far away, and in my experience, they usually schedule surgery very quickly once the consult is completed.

I mentioned on another thread that my VERY talented thoracic surgeon does perform VATS, but had to perform open surgery in my case. I was terrified, but he was honest and forthcoming about the procedure, and I actually recovered and was sent home from the hospital a day earlier than expected. The staff was amazing, professional, and kind. 

IF your 2nd opinion surgeon recommends the same, I assure you the experience is manageable and we can help walk you through it. <3 

Like the others said, it's important to trust your surgeon, whomever you choose. my husband and I were very comfortable with the surgeon and his capabilities. My husband gets a kick out of watching him come out of surgery to chat, because he sees the surgeon is doing what he loves, and God's calling. 

I will ill keep my fingers crossed that your 2nd opinion is able to recommend a VATS!

Meloni 

Thank you Meloni, good advice and for sharing your experience. Just the thought of surgery in general horrifies me. I want to be here for my family, and I worry about everything from making it through to potential complications afterwards. All of this is like a terrible dream. Praying and trying to trust Gods plan.