Brand New

Jeffrey N

Might be some good news I think , hope.

64 y/o male with right upper lobe mass that is highly concerning for malignancy.
case reviewed with Dr. Walsh, who feels that tissue diagnosis is not necessary
given the appearance of the lesion, which is overwhelmingly likely to represent
NSCLC. Dr. Hong present and reviewed imaging with patient. Risks of surgery
discussed with patient at length including but not limited to: death,
respiratory insuff, prolonged ventilation, irregular heart rhythm, need for
blood transfusion (with associated risks for HIV/Hep C), prolonged Chest tube
placement, and possible need for home o2 on discharge.
Pt. agrees to proceed with surgical intervention. Right VATS, possible
thoracotomy with right upper lobectomy, possible bilobectomy planned for
06/12/17.
Plan:
1. MRI of the brain 05/23/17 at Tampa VA
2. will plan on R VATS, possible thoracotomy R upper lobectomy, possible
bilobectomy
3. pt. instructed to resume aspirin therapy again and continue until day of
surgery.
4. labs today and again on 06/09/17
5. EKG today
6. asu and lab appt on 06/09/17
7. update of h+p on 06/09/17 with Dr. Hong

(overwhelmingly likely to represent
NSCLC.  )  I think this may be good right ?

*** SURGERY TELEPHONE CONTACT Has ADDENDA ***
Called veteran to discussed his appointment to see the thoracic surgeon.
Explained to him that Dr. Hong can see him at Bay Pines for consultation. I have
contacted Bay Pines and I am trying to get appointment set for 05/09. He has a
MRI on 05/23 which would be the next available clinic time.
He is okay with seeing Dr. Hong at Bay Pines and will make arrangements to get
there.
He has my number for any other questions or to notify me of his appointment
times.
He thinks it is silly that we don't have a thoracic surgeon of our own in
Tampa.
Explained to him that we are actively looking for a surgeon but it takes time to
find a good one that we want. He informed me that he wrote letters to his
congressman: Bilirakis and president Trump. He hopes it helps us to get the
resources we need.

I'm Hello Jeffrey,

I was just diagnosed with Squamous cell (non-small cell) Carcinoma of the left lung. I am a Vietnam vet. My intro tells you more about me under DragonKing cause my name was taken.

Any how, the Bay Pines VA hospital is great, great staff, great nurses and great doctors. They diagnosed me but they also wanted to treat me there. I live in Cape Coral and it's too far to drive daily and I refused to stay without my wife. If you're wondering, they do treatments that's no problem. If I didn't live so far away I would go there.

I don't want to wait another month or two to get my veterans choice referral, I am opting to use my Medicare and tri care for life. The veterans choice just takes too long to get approved. If you have any other insurance you might check on that too.

Best of luck to you and hope you get better. 

Dave (DargonKing)

• 2 weeks later...

So finally!  NO BRAIN CANCER , WOOT!  Surgery is scheduled for the 12th same plan , remove right lung.  VA physiatrist (yep) says headaches are stress related .

Still looking for a home for Amy , my room mate. 

Jeffrey so glad they found no Brain cancer!   Less than 2 weeks to go now.  Get some exercise.  Try to eat healthy.

Also try to relax.  My prayers I offer up that all goes smoothly for you.

Donna G

Hi, Jeffery,

I'm happy to read your great news! We'll be thinking of you on the 12th and hoping for even more good news after your surgery. Please keep us posted!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 2 weeks later...

SO happy to hear you finally got some good news and are headed to surgery. Will be praying for you the rest of today and in the morning. I'm an early riser and prayer, so I got you covered going into that surgery. An R.N. Once told me surgeons will scare you to death with all the dire possibilities so that they appear even more brilliant when all turns out fine. Made me think of it when I read your post about what the surgeon said. My husband had the same dire possibilities list with surgery to remove a tumor from his spine years ago. Freaked us both out. But he's fine. And we do believe his surgeon is brilliant so I guess it worked. Lol.
Judy M

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Jeffrey,

Nothin' better in the world than an Oh-Dark-Hundred wake up!  I know you've done a few of these in the past. This one will be for a slightly different reason but you'll be fine.

I had a pneumonectomy and two additional surgeries to repair a tear in sutures.  If I survived, so can you.

Stay the course.

Tom

Jeffrey,

So very happy to hear your surgery is over and you are apparently on your way to recovery.  Yes it is painful but I'm sure you'll be encouraged to be taking laps around the ward floor soon.

If you are still in the hospital, ask the nursing staff to bring in some extra pillows to attempt to find a more comfortable position for your chest tube.  If your recovery is normal, this should not remain in place long, so that is something to look forward to.

Great news about the resection of the tumor in the Trachea. I recall that was of concern.  Despite the success of the surgery, you'll likely have post surgical chemo 30 to 60 days after discharge to ensure all potential cancer cells in your blood stream are dealt with.

Keep us posted and since there are several forum members currently starting treatment with the VA, insight and information about your VA hospital experience would be helpful.

Stay the course.

Tom

They removed the lung tube last night And it felt wonderful for a while a breathing treatment came and I made a caugh and now I'm back-to ground 0 with pain Today I will just do what I can it's just too painful I was getting up I will try again .As far as the VA once we got going the care has been totally outstanding I could not ask for anything better the surgeon is outstanding the nurses are very friendly and understanding I am glad I am here if I have to be in the hospital 

Jeffrey,

Recovery from thoracic surgery is a process.  In a non-medical characterization, it starts with chest tube or tubes removal.  So, you are on the way.  Expect coughing and expect pain but it should improve every day.  Breathing treatments help because they ease the congestion.  The doc needs to ensure your lungs don't get clogged, thus the breathing treatments.  Today, you'll likely meet the spirometer - a device that you'll blow into to to keep a ball elevated as long as possible.  Likely, you'll be coached to performing this exercise many times per day.  It will be uncomfortable but is necessary to hasten your recovery.

Glad the VA system is taking care of you.  It validates most of what I know about VA medicine.  That is, the problem is getting into the system.  Once in the system, the VA operates like every other hospital.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks for the update Jeffrey !

Keep up the breathing treatments or as Tom wrote you'll get congested which leaves to more coughing and more pain.

Continuing to pray for more progress and that you feel better and better every day.

Donna G

Jeffrey,

Ask as soon as possible for the VA Hospital Patient Advocate to consult with you in your room.  Your ward nurse has the contact points.  Tell the ward nurse you'd like to consult with the advocate before preparing for discharge.

Tell the advocate about the lack of someone to care for you at home and ask the advocate arrange no cost home health care or a longer recovery stay in the hospital.  Do this quickly before the system processes you for discharge.

Stay the course.

Tom