Father, 59, going through NSCLC diagnosis.

Marcie

Really glad to hear he's feeling better.  As long as he's up for giving it another shot, it's a reasonable option.  The quality of life thing is HUGE.  And he seems to have regained that, so, GO DAD!  :) 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a great turnaround! Having a reasonable quality of life is a big deal. It's good if the Ibrance works. It's also good if he can keep eating, drinking and moving around with his pain mainaged.

Hooray! I'm so glad to hear that your dad is doing better! He's obviously a fighter and is still ready to fight once again.  Keeping my fingers crossed for positive outcomes.

Take Care,

Steff

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Just another update.

Dad is on his final days. I flew home to Indiana and have been helping out my mom. After his stay in the hospital, he had a few good weeks, and for that I am very thankful. 

I got here last Saturday and he has been deteriorating fast. We are doing home hospice and it's nice he could stay where he is comfortable. He is mostly sedated to keep him from getting scared/sad/confused/agitated, but he has a few lucid moments where we can still see he's in there. We let him know how much we love him and I read him messages from his friends. His buddies from his guitar club called and played for him over speakerphone - it really made him smile.

Thanks to everyone here at Lungevity for all of the support, love, information, and above all - hope! Not sure what I would've done without you guys. 

I'll pop back in regulaly and keep tabs on everyone and offer advice to other caretakers when I can. 

It makes me happy that cancer treatment is moving so fast and that new options are available each day. I can't wait to see what the future holds and look forward to the day no one needs to worry about cancer.

Best,

Marcie

I'm so sorry, Marcie.  You've been a great support for your dad, and I know he appreciates it.  

Tell him his friends at Lungevity send their love.

Marcie,

Thank you for your kind words.  I am sorry all the recent advances in lung cancer treatment have not improved your father's condition.

For what it is worth, you are, in my opinion, doing all the right things: home hospice, sedation level, interaction during lucid moments, and spending quality time with your father.  

I pray for peace for you and your family.

Stay the course.

Tom

Marcie,

I had hoped that all of the recent advances in treatment would have benefited your father more. I am so very sorry. I am thankful you are there with your family during this sad time. Thank you for showing how daughters can be so supportive of their fathers. I hope that you can all find peace during this sorrowful time.

Take care - 

Steff

I’m sorry to hear this.  This is a difficult time, one I went through myself with my father.  I hope your father finds comfort and peace in the days to come.  At some point you will find the same as well.   

Marcie,

I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ve followed your post about your father and know he’s a fighter. Praying for you all as you go through this.  Take Care

Paula

I am so sorry. And reading your posts - you are clearly a wonderful daughter and I am sure your dad is so proud of you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family :( 

Hi Marcie-

I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad.  I can only imagine how hard it was to get on the plane.  I’ve been inspired by your posts over the last few months.  I pray for peace for you and your family.  

Michelle

The final update on this thread, though I'll try to be more active in other threads and chime in when I can!

Dad passed yesterday morning around 8:30AM. He was 61. It was very peaceful and my mom was holding his hand the whole time. We'll all miss him so much.

No funeral or anything to worry about, just doing a simple cremation. We'll have a big Celebration of Life party sometime over the summer. 

I look forward to keeping tabs on all cancer research developments: I can't wait for a cure.

Lots of love,

Marcie

Oh Marcie- I’m so sorry to hear this.  I’m glad you were able to be with your Dad in his final days.  I’ll pray for you & your family to have peace during this time.  A big hug.

Michelle

Marcie

I have been following your story and I’m so sorry for your loss...may you and your family find peace ..I’m sure your dad was a great man.

Archived