Hi

Sri

Hi, 

My name is Kaly . My brother was diagnosed in Jan 2017 as stage IV NSCLC squamous cell.He is from India. He has 4 cycles of carboplatin / Taxol . After 3 months pet scan there is slight reduction in primary mass and some of lymph nodes. However there is a new nodule found in supraclavicular lymph node . Unfortunately all mutation test results are also negative so targeted therapy is not possible according to Onc. Not sure of immunotherapy availability in India. So overwhelmed and tensed at this moment and seeking for treatment advice to talk to oncologist in this kind of situation.

Thanks 

kaly

Kaly,

Welcome here.  So very sorry, I missed promptly responding to your introductory post.

Ok, understand stage IV adenocarcinoma and going through first line standard of care - chemotherapy -- taxol and carboplatin.  Also understand his tumor did not display markers suitable for targeted therapy and his mid-treatment scan showed mixed results.

So, here is my thinking.  If the primary and some lymph nodes are shrinking, chemo must be having an effect.  During my mid treatment scans, some tumors were larger and some were smaller.  However, after each completed chemo treatment (in my case 6 cycles), the end of treatment showed no evidence of disease.  I think your brother's oncologist will stay with his treatment plan and assess on completion.

There are further treatment options if this course does not completely eliminate the cancer.  Some that come to mind is a change in chemo recipe and/or perhaps stereotactic body radiation therapy to address uncooperative lymph nodes.

The important point is to let your brother know that many of us here have been exactly where he is now -- in treatment with mixed mid-treatment scan results.  And, we are still here. Lung cancer is so dangerous because it is persistent.  Here is information on persistence and how to deal with.  I use an American baseball analogy but have watched many cricket matches and the games are similar.  The point is to settle in for the long game and cricket is certainly a long game.

Are you accompanying your brother to his oncology consultations?  If you are, you may want to read into the disease.  Here is a good start to your reading. And, here is information in the form of a check list to help you prepare for his next consultation.

You'll likely have more questions and this is a good place to ask.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Tom, 

Thank you for the response, it really means alot to me . My brother was diagnosed squamous cell carcinoma not adenocarcinoma. 

My brother is in India and I am in USA so I can't accompany him for doctor visit however My other brother goes along with him.

Today he got 5th cycle of chemo and onc advised to complete 6 cycles of carboplatin and taxol and see .

Thanks

Kaly

Kaly,

Sorry, I miss-read your post and thought you mentioned adenocarcinoma.  I clearly see the squamous cell you mentioned.  It is a good thing your brother has family attending his consultations.  This was very important to me because I was so afraid, I didn't ask any questions of the doctor.  My wife did the Q&A.

I have squamous cell NSCLC also and am excited about immunotherapy treatments that are starting to show results for squamous cell patients.  Here is some information to pass along to your brother if necessary.

I hoping for a good result after his 6 cycles are complete.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Kaly,

Welcome to LCSC. We hope to hear from you again soon with an update on how you and your brother are doing. I know the distance must be very difficult. He is fortunate to have people who love him all over the world. Please let us know if you have questions or would like resources/information on a particular topic. We are here for you!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation