Just Thoughts

Judy M.

Good morning fellow travelers. Was listening to a testimony from a cancer survivor some time ago and she said something I've found helpful, so thought I'd share with you guys. She said, "The disease is going to do what the disease is going to do, the doctors are going to do what the doctors are going to do, and God is going to do what God is going to do. All you have to do is mind your joy." Helps to keep me focused when my mind scatters. Also, read that some studies show that vitamin E may help prevent lung fibrosis resulting from radiation. Suppose it can't hurt to try that. Have shot a note to my Oncologist asking if there are any vitamins and minerals I shouldn't take during radiation or chemo. Did set up session for SBRT yesterday. Radiology Oncologist now says they are going to do SBRT on the 2 tumors in my right lung rather than the one in my left. Then radiation/chemo concurrent on the one in left lung. The plan appears to me to have gone through a number of changes, but I'm happy to be getting SBRT on 2 rather than just 1. I have both a Med. Oncologist and a Radiation Oncologist. Not sure they're communication is always the best. Feeling good today and planning to enjoy it. Hope all of you are also.

Judy M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Judy,

Thanks for your insight.  Finding the little things that bring me joy are something I look forward to every day.  

I was fortunate to have both my radiation oncologist and medical oncologist in the same practice.  Their offices were closely located and they collaborated on designing and modifying my treatment plan. I recall plan changes both before and after treatment started.  During my 30-day conventional radiation (not sure what they called it 13 years ago), my daily dose time was reduced after my mid-treatment scan; the radiation oncologist said the tumor was shrinking faster than they predicted.  I hope you have a similar experience. 

The SBRT should fry the small guys (it worked for me), and the conventional radiation combined with chemotherapy should deal with the second (apparently larger tumor).  I had absolutely no side effects from SBRT.  The only difficulty was not being able to scratch the itch that always happened 4 minutes into an immobile 15 minute session (Murphy's Law). 

Stay the course.

Tom 

Tom,
Thanks so much for sharing that there were changes during your treatment also. I've been concerned about that at times, but I really like both my Oncologists and have no desire to change. They are at the same hosputal and meet together on a regular basis with one another and my Pulmonologist. My breast cancer treatment was just so straightforward. It was laid out first visit with my Med. Oncologist and went like clock work. I'm learning that this lung cancer is a very different beastie. During my set up for SBRT I didn't itch (thankfully) but my hands go to sleep from being held immobile over my head for so long. Same when I have a P.E.T. scan. Already know and love my Radiation Techs. They are wonderful, caring, cheerful team. Makes a big difference.
Judy M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk