Port Question

Judy M.

Surgeon's office called yesterday to make appt. to have port put in for chemo. I actually ask my Oncologist if I'd get one because of reading what Tom has said. They will want to put whatever on my left side because I've had 2 nodes removed on the right side. Problem is I watched and Emmi video they sent and it will be right over my upper left lung which is exactly where I'll be receiving radiatiion. This would seem to be a problem. Plus, I didn't care much for the risks involved with having a port implanted in my chest. Shot off a message to my surgeon telling him about the radiation and asking if a Picc line or something else would be possible. My daughter says a Picc can only be placed in your right arm. Anybody had experience with another alternative for chemo and blood draws? Thanks for your help. Will probably be sending a load of wuestions now that treatment is starting.

Judy M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hi Judy,

I have a port (from a former cancer life) and I love it.  It's really easy and just about pain free.  It's on my right side with no problems. I have both blood draws and infusions done through it.

I've also had a PICC line.  This I did not like.  it's a pain as the tubes are stitched to your skin and any pull or tug or whatever and it pulls on the stitches.  Also as I understand it, a PICC line really isn't made for long term use either.  Oh and showering is a pain with a PICC line as you can't get it wet. 

This was my experience. But with all of this said, do what is comfortable for you!  

Shalom,

Julie

Judy,

You should ask your surgeon if the location will conflict with scheduled radiation.  Funny, during my time volunteering at cancer centers, I've seen many in first line radiation and chemotherapy with ports and I never wondered if there was a conflict.  But, my knowledge of the physics of ionizing radiation suggest a port won't effect the amount of radiation on the tumor.  The gamma rays should pass right through the port, but I'm not a doctor and it is worth asking the question.

BTW - here is a good summary level information about ports and how they are installed.  

Stay the course.

Tom

I have a port on my right side, which is the same side as my primary cancer and metastases. A nurse had told me I should talk to the radiologist surgeon who performed the surgery about placement on the left side, since I would be receiving radiation on the right side. The surgeon said this wasn't an issue (although I can't recall why, I'll have to dig for some info), and placed it on the right side anyway. it would be good to chat with the surgeon (is he/she a radiologist surgeon?), and ask them to explain more clearly why the port must be placed on your left side, how effective or ineffective it will be in terms of receiving radiation therapy, and to talk to you more specifically about these risks that concern you. (heads up, I love my port. So much better than a picc or a needle stick.) <3

P.S. It's fantastic that you're advocating for yourself. Good doctors have no problem discussing these details with patients. 

Thank you Meloni. Thinking left side because I had 2 nodes under my arm removed in surgery last year. They are just being cautious about lymphedema issues on that side. Doubt I'll have any since there were only 2 removed. Thanks so much for sharing. It makes a big difference being able to hear from people who've walked this road when making decisions.
Judy M

My Medical Oncologist's A.P. called me about my port question. She says the Radiation Oncologist will expect a chemo port and they can work around it. Also, that it will be right beneath my collar bone and they can put it on the right if they need to. Plus the radiation field will be very small. Just passing on the info. I got. So, Meloni was right on and I feel much better about getting the thing after hearing from you guys. Thanks to all of you who shared.
Judy M

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.