SBRT

Suzanne

I was diagnosed with nsclc stage 4 adenocarcinoma 2 weeks ago after a pet scan showed the lung cancer had spread to my spine. I was asked to be part of a clinical trial for sbrt but I have since seen it as a standard treatment for many people on here. I am having a difficult time figuring this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suzanne,

SBRT as I know it was once confined to small intact tumors and in my case a single tumor in the lung. 

I've been reading about doctors who are now using SBRT for multiple tumors and in multiple locations in proximity -- say 2 tumors, 1 in each lung. That means as a treatment for stage IV LC. Most of my reading has been papers in the journal of oncology and NIH literature. 

I'm not sure SBRT under those circumstances is considered a standard of care, yet.  But it looks like things are moving that way and if that is the case, and you are in the study population, then SBRT worked for me. 

I thing I sent you some citations a while ago. Can't do links with a cell phone. 

Anyone else know about SBRT use on stage IV LC?

Stay the course. 

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Suzanne
Sry I didn't see this post sooner. For some reason I don't always get notifications on my phone even for people I'm following like you. I certainly do know about SBRT for stage IV lung cancer. I just had my second SBRT treatment yesterday. And I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to have this treatment. From all I've read this has better outcomes than either chemo alone or chemo/radiation concurrently. I'm scheduled for 5 total treatments. So 3 more to go and so far I've had no troublesome side effects. I have 1 nodule in my left lung and 2 in my right lung. They are treating all 3 each session. Had standard radiation for breast cancer last year. The difference as far as the experience goes is that standard radiation was 5 days a week for 6 1/2 weeks and the sessions themselves only lasted a couple of minutes each time. With the SBRT I only go twice a week for 5 total sessions, but they are much longer. Took about an hour and forty five minutes for the first one because they were still working on lining up perfectly. Yesterday took an hour or so. The only difficulty is having to lay absolutely still with my arms over my head the entire time. But no big deal. It's not like I'm in terrible pain or anything. And, in my opinion and also that of my Medical Oncologist, this is my best chance of good results long term. I've written all about the process of getting to finally have this treatment and how it's going in other places on here. Let us know what you decide.
Judy M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.