Confirmed

Carlrb

Went for PET/CT scan and biopsy last month and finally saw the Doc this past Thursday as he was away in Africa. He said tests show stage 2 NSCLC. Tumor measured 5.2x3.0x6.0 cm. He scheduled a right lung lobectomy for May 30 and also wants to do a bronchoscopy and mediastinoscopy at the same time. Unrelated I have had 3 surgeries on my left leg and when I saw the surgeon for that last Tuesday she also wants to do surgery again because the graft is closing up causing extreme pain due to lack of blood flow. Both agreed lung surgery first then leg. I'm getting pretty fed up with all this.

Thanks Chery and Katie. I am alone on this. The leg surgeon called today because she is afraid when I stop the blood thinners the artery will get worse. I told her I would talk to the thoracic surgeon about it and get back to her. 

I am fortunate to have a big family and many friends including my church family who have been literally a life saver for me. I hope you can get connected with a church or a local cancer support group, no one needs to go through this alone.

Had pre- op today, angioplasty on my leg tomorrow then May 30 is lobectomy. Nurse today said lobectomy is about 4.5 hrs. We'll see how it goes also have a breathing test Friday. Whole thing is rather depressing.

Carl,

Depressing absolutely, positively, most assuredly, but extra life at high quality is likely and achievable. 

Contact KatieB by message on this site and arrange for someone to talk you through the mayhem. LUNGevity provides this support and you'll need it. You are matched up, generally, with someone who has the same lung cancer affliction and experience as you. 

I'd arrange the contact points but am away from my computer and struggling with this impossibly small iPhone keyboard. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Carl, So sorry you having such a rough go of it. I pray that things will go well for you during surgeries I will be having right upper lobectomy on May 31. I know the feelings of depression & sometimes our minds go to dark places. We must fight this as hard as we can. Keep fighting. Hope to hear from you again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Carl,

How are you doing? 

As Tom mentioned, we have a LifeLine partner program where we can try to connect you with someone with a similar diagnosis and experience. If you'd like to get more information about the program, here is the link to the website: https://www.lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/support-services/lungevity-lifeline

Please post an update when you're up to it. We are here for you.

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 2 weeks later...