Just diagnosed with lung cancer...

Good morning, Dave.  Thanks for the update!  I finished 30 radiation treatments at the end of May.  While I didn't have many side effects, the fatigue did me in.  I continued to work (at home) through treatment and spent my "lunch hour" napping.  Once you've finished all of your treatments, you'll start to bounce back - your appetite will come back, the throat will begin to heal.  Then you can be the handsome, fit guy staring back from the mirror.  I'm currently going through the hair loss.  Every time I take a breath, more falls out.  I may take matters into my own hands this weekend and just take it all off.  Besides, it's hot in Fort Worth!

Sounds like you have a fantastic support system.  I believe that is the key to success when defeating cancer.  Hang in there and please continue to update us.  

Dave,

Ice cream was the answer to my raw throat after radiation.  Chocolate mint ice cream. Sometimes, I'd let it melt a little before eating.  Made my throat feel good and put the pounds on....

Stay the course. 

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Dave,

I'm happy to hear that you've finished your chemo. How is your radiation going? Susan makes a great point about your support system. It sounds like you are surrounded by great people who care about you. Know that we're here for you too. Please post an update when you can!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hello there!

I finished my last radiation last week, a total of 35 treatments. Yesterday I had a follow up appointment with the Florida Cancer clinic for a blood test. All my numbers are still down low, especially my white blood cell count. That would probably explain my weakness and tiredness, no energy. My throat and tongue are finally doing better so I'm able to eat a little more than before. The numbing stuff is okay for a couple of bites and then it seems to wear off.

I can eat mashed potatoes now with gravy, no meat, it seems to scratch the throat. I'm sure this will get better. The sores on my tongue feel good with frozen ice cream, now that I'm able to eat more, I picked some up today.

I've still been trying to be active, but for every hour of activity, I seem to need 6 hours of rest, mostly sleep. I've gained 3 lbs back so far.

The right side of my chest I've been encountering pain, not sure what from since that's not where the cancer is nor where they did the radiation.

I've got another appointment coming up with the cancer for a blood test and meet with the doctor since my last chemo on August 2nd. August 16th, I'm supposed to get my first cat scan. I'm looking forward to that one to see if anything has happened with the cancer.

Thanks all for the good wishes, it helps to know others are going through the same thing you are and understand the feelings of occasional depression.

DragonKing (Dave)

Dave,

I'm very happy to read your update! I hope that you continue to gain your energy and your appetite back. We'll be thinking of you going into your upcoming scan and hoping for more positive results! You're a very positive presence in this community and we continue to be here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
LUNGevity Foundation

• 2 weeks later...

Blood test show the numbers going up slowly. Cat scan coming up the 16th of August will tell more. 

Still no energy and still not gaining weight or strength back. Doc says it takes time to heal but of course I'm in a hurry. 

Will post when I get more news. 

Dave, DragonKing

Hi, Dave,

Here's hoping for good scans today! I'm sorry it's been a long and frustrating process. I hope that each day you get a little stronger. Please post an update when you can.

We're thinking of you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
LUNGevity Foundation

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest update on my cancer.

Went to the VA clinic this past Wednesday and saw both primary and pulmonary doctors.
The cat scan showed that both the larger and smaller cancers had shrunk by 1/3. Hip hip hurray!!!

Next week, will be seeing the radiation and chemo doctors and they will make a determination as to what the next step will be.
So that was great news in itself and now just waiting what the next step to fight this cancer will be is most encouraging. It's all good.

And it's due to the wonderful support of those of you and you know who your are, that prayed and sent healing energy to me. All positive energy helps to heal the mind, body and soul and it has done lots for me and mywife too.
Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts. Oh and the doctors all helped to expedite the treatments too, gotta give them some credit.