Mom just diagnosed

Helpingmom

Hi. My mom was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, well, they did a biopsy and found cancer in her lung. we don't know yet the stage or origin. she is a long time smoker, but only 53. I am really hoping they found it early, even though I know that is rarely the case. My question today is she has an appointment set and it lists 3 different departments she is meeting with. Radiation/Oncology, Hematology/Oncology, and behavioral medicine. the radiation oncology is obvious ,  but can anyone tell me what roles the other 2 have in treatment of lung cancer ? 

Wow. Thank you so much for the quick response. I will check on all of those things. I am so glad I found this site. It is frustrating as my mom doesn't ask many questions and no answers are given voluntarily. she had a CT and biopsy last month. They did her PET scan finally just a few days ago. she can see the results online and it it doesn't say anything different that the CT. This is all so new and I've been trying not to Google too much, but it's hard when she doesn't ask for more info from her doctors.

Hi Helpingmom,

I can't answer your question, so glad KatieB could help.  But my mom was diagnosed last Fall with NSCLC - stage 1. It's been a rollercoaster since then. I have went to many appointments with her to ask questions and to be another set of ears because it's over whelming.  I pray for the best outcome for your mom. As "excited" as we were for my mom to be stage 1, we also know there is a higher chance of return do to it being Squamish cell. The fear will never go away! She has a follow up CT scan in a week and it's weighing on us all!! But on a positive note we are planning a family vacation to help us look forward to the near future!! :)

Thank you. I wish my mom would let me or someone go with her, but she won't allow it which makes it much more difficult for those who care about her.:-( I will keep your mom in my thoughts as well. I'm getting married in a few months and I want so much for my mom to be there and be healthy . 

So found out today the cancer is in one lung and just the tiniest spot in her liver. The doctor is running tests on the biopsy tissue because his hope is to start her on keytruda instead of chemo. If anyone can share some experiences with this treatment ,  I would be very grateful . everything I have read about it sounds promising . 

Helpingmom,

From your mention of Keytruda, I conclude your mom's biopsy reported NSCLC (non small cell carcinoma lung cancer) with her tumor showing high level of PD-L1 expression.  The link gives you some information about this new immunotherapy treatment, and it is fortunate that your mom's PD-L1 level allows her to receive Keytruda as a first line treatment. With tumors in the lung and liver, your mom's cancer stages at IV, but what type of non small cell carcinoma does your mom have - Adenocarcinoma or Squamous cell?

Letting us know the type of cancer will help folks who have a similar type with Ketytruda treatment give you feedback about their experience. 

You'll likely have more questions and you may want to invite your mom to take a look at our forum and read into the disease.  Here is a good reference for both or you to start your reading.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks so much for your response. I will take a look at the information you have suggested. She has Adenocarcinoma. She has 1 small spot in her lung and one in her liver that is barely visible on the scan. She was until a few weeks ago a very heavy smoker and drinker, so it's not really all that surprising unfortunately. I asked her if they knew where it originated and she said no. is this something they can tell? Does it matter?

You mentioned that your mom doesn't want anyone to go with her to the appointments.  Does she take a notebook so that she can record what the doctors tell her?  They throw so much information at the patients.  I generally take my husband or mom and a notebook.  With chemo brain in effect, I can't remember from one day to the next!

I have mentioned taking notes to her, she doesn't do it. It is frustrating and to be honest, I feel like she isn't telling me the truth about what is going on sometimes. There is nothing anyone can do to change how she is about things like this. I know her. I think part of it is she is embarrassed about the smoking and everything and what it has done to her because so many people have been telling her for so long that she needed to take better care of herself. I am trying my best to be positive ,  but I would feel so much better to talk to her doctors and hear from them, good or bad, what is really happening. I have told her this and she just says she needs her privacy. I am trying not to be selfish and make her angry and upset just to make me feel better. At some point, she is going to have to tell us what is happening if things do not get better. She has all the support she needs from me as she knows I'm there for whatever she needs, but she only tells me what is going on so I am very much alone trying to process all this. My fiance knows because there was no way i could even get up in the morning and function without his support. This site is starting to help though and thank you all and know that i pray everyday for a cure for everyone who is going through this.

We went through something similar when my grandmother was diagnosed with lung cancer.  My mom eventually wore her down and went with her to all of her appointments and scans.  Your mom may be embarrassed (but she needn't be) but she may also be overwhelmed with all of the new information, terms, appointments that are coming her way.  It's a lot to take.  We're here for you and her.  Let us know how we can help.