CT Screening Question

Chixter

Hi All.  I am a 59 yr old male.  Was a pack/day cig smoker for 35 +/- years.  I finally mustered the resolve to quit about 4 yrs ago.  I have family Hx of lung cancer; Mother, paternal uncle,paternal Grandfather.  Due to my obvious high risk, after discussion with my PCP, I had a full chest CT w/o contrast done. (2.5mm slice resolution).  The radiology reveals the following: All aspects of chest within normal limits except "Numerous tiny nodules are identified.  Due to their small size none of these are clearly calcified.  There are Tree-in-bud changes likely related to infectious or inflammatory change in the superior aspect of the left lower lobe.  IMPRESSION: A 3 month follow up CT is recommended for bilateral tiny nodules as noted.  These are likely post-infectious or inflammatory."

There are 11 of these suckers. 7 in the right upper lobe, 1 in the left upper lobe, 3 in the left lower lobe.  all but 3 measure 2mm with the remaining measuring 3 and 4mm respectively.

I am aware that multiple small nodules in the most common of cases are indicative of lung mets from another primary cancer.  I highly doubt this is the case because I get regular check ups and blood work always optimum, I have had a colonoscopy less than 3 yrs ago totally clean, not even polyps.  My PSA is always on the low end of normal and I had a full prostate work up including a (ouch) scope 3 1/2 yrs ago.  I never had cancer in the past.  And I feel great...no pain, discomfort, etc so I am ruling out mets from other cancers.

I've browsed here and other places and have read about solitary or several nodules appearing on CT.  What gives with 11?  Does anyone here have experience with this sort of thing?  Is the best course of action here to watch at intervals?

Gcirillo,

Welcome here.

First, understand I'm not a doctor but have 13+ years surviving late stage NSC Squamous Cell LC so I've encountered my share of CT scans and reports.

My recollection from discussion with other survivors is numerous small nodules that are metastatic often result from a larger primary tumor.  But, I've also know folks who are diagnosed with many small nodules and after a period of growth have biopsies that show metastatic lung cancer.  Most of your nodules are 2 mm and that is very small.  Even 3 and 4 mm are very small and normally associated with a lung infection or pneumonia.  Your diagnosis radiologist's indication of "post-infectious or inflammatory" and the 3 month followup CT appears to me to be a good call.  Moreover, if it were me, I'd have for CT scans every year (because of your reported history and this finding) to keep track of things.

So I agree with your radiologist for a 3 month followup CT scan and add the recommendation of annual scans to keep track of the situation.  Hope the future scan shows no nodules.  By the way, have you had a recent bad chest cold or lung infection?

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanx Tom.  No I've had no lung infections that I am aware of.  I hardly ever get a cold maybe 1 every 2 years or so.  I know I've done a lot of harm to my lungs from smoking.  The only thing I can think of and I will mention to my PCP as I have spent my working life in machine shops, an additional 10 years of crawling around crawlspaces and such with exposed fiberglass insulation.  I'm also a hobbyist who does wood turnings, welding, blacksmithing from coal forges...I hardly ever wear a mask or respirator.  (My wife reminded me of this)  I wounder if these activities and my careless attitude over breathing protection has something to do with this?  I did get a coronary CT 10 years ago, no mention of these things, but coronary CTA shows limited view of the lungs.

Chixter,

These activities may indeed have caused the small nodules.  If the next scan shows no growth, then you can assume these nodules resulted from your past smoking or work related activities.  If not, then you'll be very interested in learning about lung cancer treatment and this is the place to do so.

I hope you abide by your wife's suggestion about wearing breathing protection while navigating craw spaces or doing hobby activities.

Stay the course.

Tom