E cigarettes for patients??

Helpingmom

My mother was recently diagnosed with NSCLC. She told me she quit smoking and was on the patch, but I found out she lied and is using an e cigarette instead. I told her to ask her doctor before she even considered it and of course, she didnt. I have found so many conflicting things online about them. Has anyone asked their doctors about them? obviously ,  they are better than smoking, but with someone in her condition, are they hurting her chances of any improvement? she is on keytruda if that makes a difference . Thank you for any advice on this. I am really starting to feel like she doesn't want to get better of she can't even ask if this is healthy for her. it makes me so sad and frustrated. why go through all of this treatment if you won't take care of yourself?

Unfortunately she will not allow anyone else to talk to her doctors. That's probably the most hurtful and frustrating thing she can do to us right now. I truly feel like she is keeping things from us about her illness. I know that she is the one who is sick and has to go through this but those who care about her go through it too. We just want to know what was going on and that she is getting the help that she needs.

Hi, there,

I'm a big believer in e-cigarettes in preference to smoking.  They are the ONLY things that have kept me off cigarettes for the past year and a half (over a year before cancer diagnosis).  I've told my doctors about my vaping and they list me as a "former" smoker.  I'm convinced that my lung function is far better now (just had lobectomy last week) than it would have been had I not switched.  Depending on where you purchase the e-liquids, the ingredients are the same (except for the nicotine) as that used in inhaler-type devices and in the "fog machines" used at concerts.  I noticed a huge improvement in my breathing/lung function since switching.  

That said, once I was diagnosed I researched a bit more carefully, and though there is universal agreement that nicotine isn't itself carcinogenic, there is theory/speculation that nicotine MIGHT provide a more hospitable environment for cancer cells once they have become cancer cells.  IOW, it might encourage growth.  Given that, I am in the process of tapering down to zero nicotine.  I've gone, in the past three weeks, from 1.8 percent e-liquid (equivalent to a very light nicotine cigarette--without all the harmful products of combustion) to .6 percent.  I should be down to zero in a couple more weeks.

So I would encourage your mom to discuss it with her doctor, and maybe suggest she research it for herself.  If she absolutely would be smoking if e-cigarettes were not available (and let's face it, the stress of a cancer diagnosis is exactly when it's hardest to quit a deeply ingrained nervous habit), then I'm not sure it's your place to tell her doctor.  Best to express your concern but keep the dialogue open.

Teri

Thank you for the feedback. it's good to know that you felt better using one and good for you for trying to quit completely and I hope that is what my mother is planning. She continues to push more people away as the weeks progress and I know she is scared, but refuses to talk to anyone about it. It seems like if anyone suggests she bring something up with her doctor, she fights us and does the opposite. I'm just at a loss trying to do the right thing for her. I'm trying to give her space and time to do what she needs to do while still trying to make sure she is doing ok. It's a difficult balance! 

Hi Helpingmom,

I feel your pain! I am relieved that my mother quit smoking prior to her lung cancer diagnosis, but it was a big challenge for her.  It has been an even bigger challenge for my father.  He has attempted to quit over 20 times.  Finally, he hasn't smoked in a little over a year (that we know of!) but only because he is disabled and it is too challenging to get himself outside to smoke and hold still long enough to light the cigarette (he has a neurological disorder that causes him to shake).  All that being said, addiction to nicotine is tough for many to overcome.  It is different from illicit drug addictions because the products are readily available and it has less stigma attached to it than someone who is using illicit drugs.  Please be patient with your mom.  The lies come with the addiction.  The justification and ignoring other issues that are related to smoking comes with addiction as well.  I finally decided that I was going to stop confronting my dad every time I knew he was smoking. All it would do is lead to more lies and more frustration on my part. Although he has not been diagnosed with cancer, so every puff he takes does not possibly make his health worse, as with your mom, it's still dangerous for him to sneak out of the house to smoke.  Perhaps having one last discussion with your mom to let your know all of your thoughts and feelings about her smoking could help you to feel you've made every attempt to help. And then think about leaving the issue alone.  After all, the stress of dealing with a cancer diagnosis would be enough to drive many non-smokers to smoke!

On another note, if your mom is ever ready to quit, my dad had good luck with Chantix. He now takes a reasonable dose of Wellbutrin which I guess helps with the urge to smoke.

On 18/07/2017 at 6:46 PM, KatieB said:

HI Helpingmom,

Ecigarettes are not "healthy or healthier" IMO.  While they may be perferable to cigarette smoking, I absolutely believe that they are harmful to lungs. Her doctor will be able to prescribe something to help her quit if she really wants to quit smoking.  Definitely encourage the conversation or have it with her doctor yourself.  Ultimately it's her decision whether or not, or what, she wants to smoke.

Why do you think they're harmful to the lungs?

Maliko,

Well, these are some reasons I believe ecigarettes are dangerous to a lung cancer patient -- here and here.  The research on possible harm of ecigarettes is admittedly incomplete but as a lung cancer survivor, I'd be reluctant to introduce any potential irritant into my lung during and after treatment.  I fought hard to achieve my NED (no evidence of disease) and go to great lengths to avoid all irritants to stay that way.

Stay the course.

Tom