Post-surgery pathology not complete but lymph nodes are CLEAR!!!

LexieCat

My doctor called this morning with the awesome news that the lymph nodes are all CLEAR of cancer!!  They are still awaiting the full pathology report as to the type of cancer, but the other observations he had at this point were: the tumor had grown to 2 cm since the PET scan, which means it's good we got it when we did, and that it's a good thing the lobectomy was done, as the wedge resection performed during surgery actually transected the tumor, which means it all would not have been removed.

He sounded VERY happy.  Could not say why the exam of the tumor was taking so long, but he talked with the pathologists and was able to get what he considered to be the most critical info.  I have an appointment with him tomorrow, as well as a chest x-ray and chest tube removal, so presumably I'll find out more details about future scans to keep an eye on things.  

But for right now, I am one happy camper!

Teri

Thanks for the update.  So glad to hear that they found clean lymph nodes.  Wonderful news!

Hopefully you will know what type of lung cancer it is soon.

Donna G

That's great news LexieCat! We'll be thinking of you today. I hope you have more answers soon. Keep us posted. We are here for you!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

I'm so happy for you! Sounds like a really good result. Hope you get more answers soon.
Just M.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I post all over the forums--I'm doing great.  No signs of cancer after two semiannual scans.  Feel terrific, no physical problems at all.  I was very, very lucky (at least have been so far).

41 minutes ago, LexieCat said:

I post all over the forums--I'm doing great.  No signs of cancer after two semiannual scans.  Feel terrific, no physical problems at all.  I was very, very lucky (at least have been so far).

my best wishes..I hope my husband also stays cancer free. Thanks for the reply. I am new here and yet to go through old posts.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see that your post was over a year ago, so a lot could have happened since then, but I have a question.  After having the lobe removed, and you recovered from the surgery, did you see a big difference in your breathing capacity? I currently have normal lung function, with he possibility that I will have the top lobe of the right lung removed.  

Hi Pip,

Prior to my lobectomy my surgeon said that unless I was planning to run a marathon, I probably wouldn't notice a difference in my lung capacity. I'm 73, active, but no marathons. The doctor was correct. I have no shortness of breath.

Bridget

I have no shortness of breath, either.  I quit smoking about a year before my diagnosis/surgery, and that definitely helped my breathing.  If you don't have other lung problems (like COPD), you will probably notice no difference once your healing is done.

Thank goodness for this web site... it helps me more than all of you will ever know!

I have to keep reading all the positive posts regarding lobectomy / surgery... I am now really going to be doing this. October 1st in Seattle. I am not having this done at UWMC but have elected to have surgery at Swedish Hospital (Swedish Cancer Institute). I feel confident about my surgeon's ability and skill. I'm just so frightened for some reason by the actual surgery, possible complications, post-surgical complications.  In fact, I feel like I'm so worried about that stuff that I don't even think about what the surgery will finally tell me... If this tumor is cancer or not!  Surgeon will do a mediastinoscopy (sp?) first. He's guessing there is about an 8% chance of lymph node involvement. Hoping he's right on that! I'm still terrified. I don't feel "mentally ready" at all for this and seem to be so busy with other stuff I can't shut it all off. 

For those of you who have helped me by replying to past posts, thank you.  You may remember that I have a 20 y.o. son on the Autism spectrum.  He has really been amazing and this has been quite an emotional experience for us.  I thought we were always very close, but it's brought us even closer.  Don't know what I'd do without his hugs!  I was very worried about him in all of this... We've been very blessed as he will be able to stay at a hotel within 3 blocks of the hospital. It has a full kitchen - fridge, stove and microwave - so he can prepare meals for himself while I am in the hospital. As he doesn't drive, he can walk to the hospital to be with me. I am so grateful as I do want him near (selfishly) but I think it will benefit him as well.  I was worried about transportation, but that is all getting worked out as well... We will have a cab take us to Seattle (insurance is actually going to pay for this!) and they will pay for the hotel for the night before surgery, which is helpful.  I will either have a cab ride home with my son or possibly a couple I knew in H.S. who have offered to bring me back home. 

In spite of the **** cancer brings into our lives, it has also brought some amazing experiences and blessings.  There is something I want / need to share... and I am still stunned by this... The only reason / way I am able to pay for my son to stay in a hotel during my surgery / recovery (at least without racking up a credit card!) is due to what I am now calling my guardian angel.  I have an online business that I was working at part-time.  I decided to take a hiatus in August until this whole business has been completed and I know what's in store in the future.  One of my clients contacted me and I apologized for not letting her know what was going on, but told her about the possibility of cancer and my need to have surgery.  She does not know much about me apart from our professional / business encounters, but she did know that I was single and with a son on the Autism spectrum.  She asked if she could have my address to send me something - I assumed it would be a get well type of card. Well, it was a card, but it came with a cashier's check for a very generous amount of money.  I've been in shock over this ever since. I bawled my head off. I called her and started to cry again when she said she just wanted to make sure that I could access the best care possible and that my son could be a part of all of this so that we would not worry about one another.  She then revealed to me that she has a foundation with four other women and once a month they donate a sum of money to an individual or organization that they deem deserving of recognition.  I cannot begin to tell you how amazed I was by this. I never saw anything like this coming.  This woman is a very nice person (obviously!) but I never would have guessed this in a million years.  I just wanted to share this... it meant so very much to me (and my son!). At first I did not believe it, then I didn't feel I could accept it / deserve it.  I am just grateful as it has taken a huge load off of my shoulders to be able to have my son be with me / travel to another city for my surgery treatment.  I will never be able to thank this woman and her foundation friends enough.  There are miracles in all of this.  I've told myself if I don't need all of the money they sent to me that I will donate the remainder to our local cancer clinic... hopefully it can help someone else with costs that they might be facing because of cancer...  This is my feel-good story to share with all of you!

So happy to hear you have a surgery date and things are moving forward. It's also wonderful to hear that your son gets to stay close! What a wonderful gift you were given! It seems in times like these, we get to see what we truly mean to others. That's been the case with my mom anyway.  

Take care, 

Steff

Hello,  Colleen.  My name is Joy and I have been posting about my mom's pending vats surgery, now rescheduled for the 24th.  I am 35 years old and diagnosed with high functioning Autism at age 3.  I'm on disability but I do walk dogs and earn some money that way.  I am taking care of my mom and I joined this group for information.  I want you to know your son will be fine and he is very strong.     Joy

What a great story!  I think you and your son will come through this just fine.  I had little "miracles" of my own along the way.  I live alone and work remotely, and don't have a lot of close friends nearby, but a cousin flew across the country to help, which gave us a chance to reconnect in a whole new way, and some casual friends here really stepped up for me, too.  Stuff like that definitely makes this sort of thing more bearable.

Well, I've run out of "likes" already for the day! Darn!

@ LexieCat... Thank you for sharing.  It's really quite an experience seeing who extends a helping hand, isn't it? My son and I are both amazed by the fact that it's strangers (or casual friends, as you so aptly stated), who have made offers of assistance or have expressed a desire to help versus our blood family.  We're not quite as alone as we tend to believe we are! Yes, it does make this more bearable and helps one to see the "good" in all of this.

@ Joy Marie ~ Thank you so much for your post and for sharing that you are on the spectrum!  I will need to look for your posts and I am definitely going to share this with my son :-)  I look forward to reading your posts about your Mom's journey here. She is fortunate to have you! Thank you for the reassuring words that my son will be fine. You are right - he is a very strong individual.  I think he will be very interested in reading your posts as well.  Good for you with regards to your working / walking dogs... I really admire you for that.  My son was going to start his second year of community college, but he decided to take this fall quarter off in order to help me.  He does well academically but has not worked (yet). He's still working on many life skills. Taking care of me is definitely going to give him some experience! :-)  Thinking of you and your mom - hoping her VATS surgery will go smoothly and be successful. Thank you, again.  

2 hours ago, Steff said:

So happy to hear you have a surgery date and things are moving forward. It's also wonderful to hear that your son gets to stay close! What a wonderful gift you were given! It seems in times like these, we get to see what we truly mean to others. That's been the case with my mom anyway.  

Take care, 

Steff

Thank you for your (always!) helpful and positive replies, Steff!  I find myself feeling more positive whenever I read your comments... That helps! :-)

Archived