I do believe that Taxol was formulated by the devil's pharmacist!  I had six "light" rounds of Taxol and Carboplatin during radiation in April and May, and I've had two additional full-strength doses of chemo since mid-June.  I'm not giving up, but after these last two rounds of chemo, I certainly understand why people suspend or quit treatment.  

Super Doc warned me that it would be bad, but he said it wouldn't be as bad as last year's cisplatin/alimta combo.   I love Super Doc but he lies!  Taxol brought some of the usual side effects (fatigue, neuropathy, tinnitus) but it also brought total hair loss, insomnia, GI issues, steroid bloat, weight gain (!!) and a couple of others.  It has just about wiped me out mentally and physically, and that's tough for me to admit.  I know that there are others who have fared so much worse and I try to always keep that in mind.  That said, I'm finished with chemo and will scan again in a couple of weeks.  Ready for another reprieve from treatment and resuming life 90 days at a time between scans.

Susan, 

Sounds like you have had it bad enough with the benefit of steroid pre treatment.  My husband just had his first round of Docetaxel without Dex pretreatment and he has had a rough two weeks.  He had issues with the Dex previously so they thought he could take it without.  If it keeps up like this he will be moving on with something else or nothing.  This after a wonderful eight month break before progression.  

Vivian

Hi, Susan,

I'm glad you're on a break from treatment! I hope you get good scans! I always appreciate the wit and wisdom in your posts.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.