is this the end

cristina

Hello everyone.  I am an exhausted wife of a  lung cancer patient.  My husband recently was diagnosed with lung caner that has metastasized into the bones and is causing my husband an excruciating amount of pain.  He is on the pill for the targeted therapy but we won't know if this one is working for another two months.   His pain is worsening at exponential rates.  He's taking tons of drugs but is constantly in pain to the point where we are in the hospital weekly. Is this a sign of the end? Has anyone ever gone into remission with this type of cancer that has spread into the bone marrow?

Cristina,

Only you and your husband can make that decision. I know we started this journey by telling our Dr flat out it would be about quality of life first. I do not know what your Dr's are telling you. Have you gotten a second opinion? I feel your pain. Go talk to a social worker @ cancer center. I lost my other mother to bone cancer last year. It was a fast downhill journey.

Hugs & prayers,

Peg

Cristina,

I know you are devastated by your husband's pain and discomfort.  I know what my wife when through during my three years of treatment.  I wish I had a magic wand and could wave away your husband's cancer and restore his health.  I don't.

My cancer did not metastasize to bone so I don't have first hand experience of your husband's bone pain. If your husband is receiving targeted therapy, his cancer biomarkers display anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK), epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), or ROS1 mutations.  I don't know which drug your husband is receiving but some targeted therapies take a while to work.  

Progression to bone marrow is indeed serious but targeted therapy treatment can halt the progression and even in some cases eliminate the cancer.  I know people on this forum and others in the LUNGevity organization who have survived after lung cancer progression to bones so there is hope. I do hope the targeted therapy results in a no evidence of disease (NED) diagnosis for your husband's lung cancer.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi, Cristina,

You and your husband are in our hearts. How are you both doing? Could you give us more details about your husband's targeted therapy? Then we may be able to give you more information or connect you to someone who has been on that treatment.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation