Hi I'm new to this site

vinnpal

Hi, I was diagnosed with State IV lung cancer that spread to liver and lymph nods....I started chemo and got thru almost 2 cyles of abraxane/carboplatin and my count hit bottom

so I've missed the last 2 weeks of chemo and my last cycle for this treatment....I've tried everything, they say eat healthy, but its not working or working very slowly.  I go back on Monday to see if the t counts are good... I also since this started lost so much weight, I can't get past 89.5 lbs.....so try to eat healthy and gain weight....what a joke.....In the meantime, I've missed 2 weeks of treatment....It scares me.... Any fattening suggestions

Vinnpal,

Welcome here.

I'm a lung cancer survivor with 18 total taxol and carboplatin infusions and after each one, my red and white blood counts bottomed out.  I received injections of Procrit and Neulasta about 3 days after each infusion to boost counts.  That worked.

My appetite also hit bottom.  Everything tasted horrible.  One day, my wife made chocolate mint ice cream with crushed Oreo cookies.  I don't normally like mint but the chemo must have altered my taste buds enough to love it.  I devoured chocolate mint ice cream every chance I could and didn't loose much weight.  So grab a bunch of Ben and Jerry odd-ball flavored ice cream pints and see if you like one.  That will fattens you up; even try mint!  

I've also missed both radiation and chemo sessions due to illness and low counts.  These were rescheduled but a 2 week delay shouldn't effect your treatment.  Doctors safe-side the treatment frequency to account for treatment delays.  Moreover, I was told that chemotherapy agents remained in my body for a month or more after my last infusion.  I'd worry more about your diet than the 2 week delay.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Vinnpal and welcome. Is it your neutrophils that are down? If so, ask in future cycles of chemo if you can have neupogen or neulasta. These are injected medications given after chemo that keep your neutrophils from crashing.  Best of luck. Hang in there!

Bridget

Hi, Vinn,

You made it!  Just wanted to welcome you.  So far I've not had to go the chemo route, so I'm afraid I'm no help at all there, but the other folks here are very generous in sharing their knowledge.  Glad you're here with us.

11 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Hi Vinnpal and welcome. Is it your neutrophils that are down? If so, ask in future cycles of chemo if you can have neupogen or neulasta. These are injected medications given after chemo that keep your neutrophils from crashing.  Best of luck. Hang in there!

Bridget

Thanks Bridget, I guess its WBC , RBC and platelets....All the stuff you need to fight off any germs and bacteria....I'm surprised my oncologist never suggested any of these but I will ask him on Monday when I go back....thanks for the info.  .... vinnie

4 hours ago, LexieCat said:

Hi, Vinn,

You made it!  Just wanted to welcome you.  So far I've not had to go the chemo route, so I'm afraid I'm no help at all there, but the other folks here are very generous in sharing their knowledge.  Glad you're here with us.

Hi Lexie.....thanks and your right, this is really a great site, not only are the people so caring and informative, but the more I keep reading the posts I keep finding little tips and info to ask in my next appoint... its also a feel good place when  talking to people who are going thru the same fears and anxieties that I am....so glad were all here....vinnie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, vinnpal,

Welcome to LCSC. I am glad you've been able to connect with several of our members and that their posts have given you some of the information you need. Here is a link to LUNGevity's website where you can find more questions to ask your medical team.

I am happy to provide you with additional resources or more information about LUNGevity's support programs. In the meantime, please continue to explore the discussion boards, join the conversations, and ask questions. We are here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation