OUR friend...

Guest katie

Guest katie

431c3d223eb494c9a78e9.jpg

We lost a true hero, our friend Mike.

We never met him, I never even spoke to him, but his being became alive thru Mrs. Mike's postings. Shannon and Mike became members of our family, occupying our thoughts and prayers as we rooting them on their amazing journey and tenacious fight with lung cancer. They became the example in which to live by, the way we should all live and fight against lung cancer.

In Shannon's postings, Mike became real - a friend, a brother, a husband, a dad - someone we all knew. We could sense his voracious stubborness, his humor, his wit and his incredible strength. In Shannon's devotion, and awe inspired hope, we could also imagine a great man who admired and loved his wife in return, a man who was greatful and deserving of the kind of love she had for him.

I hope that one day I will be the kind of wife that loves her husband the way you did yours. I hope that everyday, Mike's spirit keep you in peace and loving memories. I hope that everyday, everyone here remembers your determination and your will and devotion to Mike.

We have all learned so much from you and from Mike, your love and your life together.

There are no words to adequately express how sorry I am. I wrote this because I could not stop crying - and I became so angry at this disease - so bitter at all it does. But in remembering you and Mike, and your incredible faith and love, helps us to go on. Thank you for sharing him with us. Thank you for being here with us.

May God comfort you and your family as Mike begins again, in a place without pain, discomfort, or sickness. In a place with no cancer.

your friend always,

Katie Brown

Shannon,

I am so sorry. I read all your posts. I was pulling for you guys and you two were the greatest inspiration to us all. I will never forget. And I hope you will stay here and continue to keep in touch with us all

OH MY GOD I AM IN SHOCK!!!!!! Shannon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way, oh my god i am so so so so sorry. Honestly I am in shock, Shannon I am with you right now, all my thoughts and prayers are with you!! PLEASE PLEASE let me know if there is anything even so small I can do. Anyone know what paper it may be in??? I am so sad right now. Shannon My dad and Mike will be hanging out I am sure of it!!!!! Like i said to renee, my dad and her mom I am sure are swapping some stories about us. Again words can not express how sorry i am right now.

Into all of our lives certain people are sent by God - angels, if you will. They come to nurture us, guide us, maybe even to be an example of what we would like to become in our journey through this life. I feel that way with Mike and Shannon. Their married lives were what we aspire to. Not just as married folks, but as human beings.

Shannon's loss is a loss we all are feeling right now. Thank you Shannon and Mike for allowing us to be a part of your journey. Thank God.

Terrie

Katie

Your post was so beautiful and such a wonderful tribute to Mike. I too never met him or Shannon or spoke to them but yet I feel like I have know them for years and years. Shannon's posts were so inspiring to me, she gave me courage and determination with each line she wrote. Mike was so courageous in his fight against this horrible disease, I will never forget them. I am so sad today, my heart goes out to Shannon and her family, may God help them through their grief.

Bess B

This was in one of the Sioux Falls Newspapers:

Michael W. Boll

Sioux Falls

06/26/03

Sioux Falls - Michael W. Boll, age 52, of Sioux Falls, passed away Monday at the Avera McKennan Hospital.

He was born Dec. 17, 1950 at Sioux Falls, the son of Joseph and Bette Boll. He graduated from Washington High School in 1969. Michael married Shannon Anderson on June 12, 1971 at Grandview Covenant Church in rural Larchwood, Iowa. He was in sales all his life and had worked for several local businesses and as an independent contactor and agent.

Mike enjoyed being outdoors taking care of his yard, traveling, fishing, and bowling. He loved spending time with his grandchildren.

Grateful for having shared in his life are his wife, Shannon; two children and their spouses, Patrick and Faith Boll of Lennox, Katie and Layton Betzing of Sioux Falls; three grandchildren; brothers, Joe Boll of Ben Lomond, CA and Chuck Boll of Naples, FL; stepmother, Mary Ann (Russ) Sumption of Alexandria, MN; mother and father-in-law, Wilbur and Ila Anderson of Sioux Falls.

A memorial visitation will be held Saturday from 4-8 p.m. at Chapel Hill Funeral Home with the family present 6-8 p.m. and a prayer service at 7 p.m. The memorial service will be 2:30 p.m. Sunday at Abiding Savior Free Lutheran Church in Sioux Falls.

Kathy

Shannon my thoughts and prayers go out to you. Mikes' strength and yours was and is a source of inspiration for me and I am sure others too. I admire you greatly and am so sorry for your loss. God bless you and give you peace.

Guest DaveG

As I spoke with Shannon this evening, I could feel her loss, but also her relief. She was sorrowful, yet very with it. I think she appreciated my phone call.

Shannon, you are to be admired. You were Mike's source of strength, courage, and tenacity. You never gave up, until you realized the time had come, and you were to Let Go and Let God.

Mike will be missed by many. He had a tremendous following and your reports were always so positive and an inspiration to many.

We look forward to your eventual return, as I know Lung Cancer Survivors for Change has a great place in your heart.

there is nothing anyone can say that will stop the pain. I am so very sorry for you loss. We could all tell from your posts that you loved mike very much. I hope I find that kind of love.

Again, so sorry. I hate this damned disease.

Renee

• 2 weeks later...