New to this world. Only 27. Stage IIIb Squemous Cell Carcino

Guest Mrsmanny

Guest Mrsmanny

We live in Dallas, TX.

My hubby had a cough since Jan 1st. Dr Thought pneumonia...2nd lung xray discovered mass in lower left lung.

CT scan 02/11/05 confirmed mass.

PET 02/16/05 confirmed cancer in lymph nodes and lower left lung.

Biopsy 03/01/05 (two days ago) confirmed squemous cell carcinoma stage IIIb.

We were married last October. Newlyweds. Hubby is very brave. But we are both scared scared scared and occasionally sad...

Our Oncologist wants to put us on a study he was approved for, we would be the first or second patient in the country. It's a combo of Chemo with 3 or 4 proven drugs...then a hormone therapy (apparently hormones help the cancer grow or something?) once the chemo shrinks it, then we hit it with radiation.

Going to go to MD Anderson for 2nd opinion even though it's not on our ins. We can't afford to pay out of pocket, but we can't afford to die.

I'd love to hear from a survivor in our boat.

Stacia

Stacia,

Not quite in your boat, same cruise line, different boat. My husband and I had been married all of six months when I was diagnosed at 34.

I went to MD Anderson for a second opinion after surgery. It was in my insurance... MD Anderson is huge, and they have a huge billing department, I'm sure. When you start working toward being seen there, get in contact with someone in insurance billing and see if it can be billed at least in part to your insurance. My advice, to keeps costs down, is to do all the scans and tests at your local (insurance covered) hospital and have them sent to MD Anderson. My oncologist sent me for the second opinion, lined everything up, including the tests and sending portions of my tumor.

Be warned, trials are okay, "miracle cures" are the modern day snake oil salesmen. It sounds like the one you are looking at has some traditional therapy with addition of other supplements. Sounds like something worth looking into (and if you're paying for a second opinion, run it by them, as well).

Good luck to you both and welcome to the family - wish you didn't have reason to join.

Becky

Stacia

Hi and welcome. You will find lots of helpfful people here and tons of info.

My mom has/had the same dx as your hubby. She did not do a trial or anything. You can read here bio below and you will see she did fine and is today cancer free.

There are numerous wonderful facilities and doctors in the Dallas area. I am in Tyler and it did cross our minds to travel to dallas or houston for opinions and treatments, in the end we just stayed right here and had first class care. I think more than anything is the doctor. He has to be someone you like, understand and most important agree with. Your husband is in a good postion with his stage to beat this. There are many proven treatments out there now without going to trials right off the bat. There are many manyoptions, just explore around you will find the right fit.

There are many more on here with more knowledge and experience who will have many more answers for you, hang around and dont be afraid to ask anything..

God bless

Kim[/url]

Guest Mrsmanny

You have no evidence of disease?

That's amazing. Our Doc here says he is willing to do whatever we choose, he is pushing for hte study, but we trust him. He's saved our friends life (Stage IV lymphoma and now NED for 5 years!!!!!!!) Of course friend has different disease.

We are ready to start fighting! So scared though.

I want this to be over.

Hubby is N/S also.

I am sorry too that your here. getting it at any age is a nightmare but I can't imagine at 27 what that is like.

Your attitude seems great for the fight. The more cancer knows it won't win, and that your willing to fight the b*stard..to me anyway...the better your outcome will be.

He is young and strong and has great chances of living a long life.

Stacia, Welcome to our support family.There are lots of knowing and caring people here.I was diagnosed in Apr.03 pretty much the same.

You will find many on here that are long time survivors.And many others on their way to being long time survivors.

Good luck to you both on this journey & please keep us informed.

Hi Stacia,

Welcome to our little family of formidable fighters!

You have gotten some great advice from the above. I was one who has beaten the odds...so far, so good! Happy to be alive!

I had very standard treatment of the day. Today, I may have done things a little differently, but it has worked so far for me.

Nothing wrong with exploring all of your options. There are some very aggressive therapies available to kick some aggressive lung cancer's butt!

Best of luck for you and DH (congratulations!) to choose the best that feels right to you!

We are here to help. We have been down that road!

Thanks for the pm...anytime.

Cindi o'h

Welcome . I am so sorry that your husband has lung cancer. There is hope! Please read

http://lchelp.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8356

David 's story of survival is a real inspiration. I also was Stage III and am now over 7 yrs with no evidence of disease. PLease keep us posted on how you guys are doing. Donna G

Guest Mrsmanny

I loved David's story.

Thank you!

I've just forwarded my husband this site. He's really shy, but hopefully he too will introduce himself!

I'm so sorry that you had to join us, but you will find lots of caring soles here. I too am new to this site, but have found lots of comfort here.

I can't offer you any advice because I had stage IIIA, and had surgery.

So far so good.

God Bless and stay possitive.

He's young and should not have to go through this, but he will beat this beast.

Barb

Barb

Welcome and sorry you had to come here!

I was 36 at dx and turned 37 (one mth later) between surgeries. I was Stage 3A and am now Stage 4. Still plan on beating this thing, too young for this garbage and have two kids to fight for.

It's a crappy disease and I know you feel that it's young to affect you.

Looks like there are more of this out there then I thought. WHen I was first dx it was very important to me to find people my own age to relate too, I thought it would be hard, unfortunately it wasn't.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Guest Mrsmanny

Latest update

Outrageous New Information

Dr. Hebeler called me at 2:30pm today, he was in surgery and someone had brought him up a 2nd pathology report.

The 2nd Pathologist said it might not be cancer, it might be an infection.

They need another sample.

Dr Hebeler will have him come in on Monday Morning to do surgery to retrieve more of a sample.

This is not saying it is not cancer…on the other hand…it's not saying it is.

We are floored.

Absolutely floored.

We are going to enjoy our weekend and accept our journey either way. It is what it is, deal with it, move on...

If this is an infection, what the hell is it?

I have seen online false positive PET scans for (not cancer) infection…however, this still could be cancer.

We are on the most random roller coaster of our lives.

Don't know what to feel, a sigh of relief? Maybe, maybe not?

Anyone ever experienced this?????/

Listen to me, I know about the strange stuff.......

When I was just rediagnosed (02/08/05) from Stage 3A to Stage 4 I took everything to my surgeon, my CT Scan shows "nodules" in every lobe now (I have had surgery, radiation and chemo - then after only 4mths and Tarceva treatment I had a bad scan). They are small and the radiology report says cancer. Well they don't know that without actually taking a sample, they couldn't.

All nodules are too small and the largest is sitting on the diaphragm and could cause too much damage. My doc said that there is a slight possibility that it is a fungal infection (hystoplastmosis) BUT because I have lung cancer it will be treated like cancer. After my additional chemo we will see where we are and go from there. I agree with him because I don't want to mess around with this......let's try to kill it and maybe go from there. I'm young....bring on the poison!

BUT YES I HAVE HEARD OF THIS BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also recently found out that my Step-Father's Father was dx with LC years ago and was treated with chemo for 4mths.....turns out it was NOT cancer but this fungal infection! That was back in the 70's though.

I pray it's all FUNGAS for you!

PM me if you would like to talk further

Guest Mrsmanny

Thanks justakid.

So many things running through our mind.

We had considered starting chemo and forgetting a second opinion the say after we were diagnosed with Squamous Cell...

Thank God We didn't, thank god someone else looked at that slide.

It still Barks like a dog, and acts like a dog, and wags it's tail like a dog, it still could be a dog...but if it's just a hairless cat.... :) I'll take it.

We are tring to to get our hopes up...he's very rational and doesn't want "false hope"... but hope is hope...I've seen on the internet that PET scans can show False Positives...do those cases match this? Who knows...

Thank you....

I pray I don't have to stay in his LC world...once we get through this....either way we will do something...anything to help people through this horrible diagnosis the way you all have helped us. One way or aother this was meant to happen...LC was meant to be brought to our attn whether we have it or not... we would not have known about it otherwise nor would we have honestly bothered to care.

I hope you realize, all of you, that just by posting here you are making such a difference in someones life. More of an impact than most others have had on our lives throughout...

Thank you.

I am hoping with everything I have that your cancer journey ends now - I will be looking for your post telling us that your husband has an easily treated lung infection!! However, I know the next few days will be very trying for you both, and I am sorry that you have to go through this. Sending lots of positive vibes your way,

Karen

Guest Mrsmanny

Last Week I sat in the same waiting room I sat in today while my husband was in surgery.

Last week the thoracic surgeon came out of surgery and told me my husband has Squamous Cell Carcinoma.

This week the same Dr came out of surgery from taking a 2nd biopsy any told me...IT'S NOT CANCER.

Its an infection of some kind....

don't know what yet.

Thank you so much for all your help and support.

You people posting here makes all the difference to people who are diagnosed...I can't even begin to thank you for everything you all have done...will try to...there was a reason you, this community was brought to our attention...

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Your stories of survival, of hope... made all the difference to me and my husband...

Thank you.

We just got home from the hospital...will talk to you all soon.

Thank you, you are all in our prayers thank you for placing us in yours. Thank you.