Survivorship...

Fay A.

Part of Lung Cancer Survivorship, for most of us, involves dealing with disease recurrence and/or metastatic spread. It can be disheartening to hear those words "...worrisome for malignancy..." over and over again. So one of the things we should be doing for ourselves is learning about the newest treatments available-standard and clinical trial-all along the course of our survivorship. It's not realistic to expect to be able to cram all of the information into our heads at a time when we are reeling from the emotional devastation of disease recurrence or spread. And I would suggest that we not limit ourselves to reading just about treatments for Lung Cancer, but rather extend our search into information on other forms of cancer (especially if you have one of the Neuroendocrine Cancers or a form of Adenocarcinoma). Because sometimes the information you glean from those sources will be applicable to your situation and illness.

I've been trying to keep up with what is available out there in preparation for the day when the cancer returns...and specifically hits my left and only lung. I started on this "fact finding" mission the month after my right pneumonectomy. I got serious about the search when I was diagnosed with a recurrence of disease on the bronchial stump 8 months after the Pneumonectomy.

I've had the pleasure of being a NERD (No Evidence of Recurrent Disease) and NED (No Evidence of Disease) from January 2005 until yesterday.

I'll spend the next few weeks learning what the various docs are willing to offer me, and deciding what to do next.

And I'll spend the rest of my time packing out my house so the remodel of the downstairs and kitchen can begin as scheduled on Monday morning. Plus I'll be painting a bunch of eggs because someone asked me to do a public art exhibit next Spring. Plus I'll continue to garden in containers in my back yard (only way I can be certain the vegetables I eat really are organic). The list goes on. If I am a surgical candidate (and really, even if I'm not) I will surely end up on oxygen most of the time if not all of the time. But I know from past experience that being on supplemental 02 is really not the worst thing that can happen to someone. It didn't limit me all that much.

Have to get ready for my Med Onc appointment this morning. Saw the Thoracic Surgeon yesterday.

I will surrender only moments of my life to Lung Cancer. And when I do die, Lung Cancer will not have won the war it and I have waged against one another over the past 6 years. I will have killed my Lung Cancer by denying it a host. I will win against this disease.

Dear Fay

I am so sorry to read that the disease has returned, but am heartened by the tone of your post, which, as always, is full of strength and wisdom. I know that you will continue to wage this battle and I have no doubt that you will come out on top again.

My love and best wishes to you,

Karen

Fay,

I hesitate to use the word "inspiration" - I think it is so very overused, but you are and will be someone that I am inspired by every single day. I will continue to keep you in my prayers as you garden, remodel and paint your eggs and continue to LIVE as a cancer survivor - God bless you,

Fay says: "I will surrender only moments of my life to Lung Cancer. And when I do die, Lung Cancer will not have won the war it and I have waged against one another over the past 6 years. I will have killed my Lung Cancer by denying it a host. I will win against this disease."

I love this attitude. Another "Addie tude" I sense going on here!

You go, girl.

Di

Dear Fay,

You have said MORE then a MOUTH FULL here,and have touched upon this issue so well. THANK YOU!

I know you have really KICKED SOME MAJOR LC *ss over the last 5 years and I have NO DOUBT my friend, you will continue to do so, and it won't be the cancer winning out! NO WAY IN HELL! Give it hell Fay! You can do it, and I'm here to cheer you on! Day or Night! You go GIRLFRIEND! Your MY ROCK!

I am heart broken to hear it's back again. Just makes me MAD!

((((((((((FAY))))))))))))

Love & Hugs,

Con

Dear Fay,

I had to go back and reread you're post after reading others reply and the most important thing in it I missed, I am so sorry that the beast is back but I guess that is not the most important thing in your post, the most important thing is you're awesome attitude that I dont think I have ever heard anyone express the way you just did. I still say You Go Girl!! I am proud to know you!!

God Bless You,

Jane

xxxxx

Fay, this stinks, just stinks. I can't post the real words I am feeling, I would be major league blipped.

I know you will win, that is your style and oh boy, lady, do you have style. (You are the only person I know who has an albino big bird).

So show that doctor your gumption and get the plan. Let us know. We care very much about you.

Love,

Fay,

What can I say besides "I'm sorry"? You're my hero, a true steel magnolia - beautiful and strong. I am so sorry this critter is back again. May you come across that silver bullet in your research and get rid of it once and for all!

Love to you,

Becky

Fay, I am so sorry you have to go through this again.

You are such an incredibly positive person who has faught this battle and will continue to do with all you got and you will beat this beast. I know you will not let it knock you out.

I picture you in the ring with those boxing gloves on and ready for your opponent. Watch out you ugly, morbid, horrendos beast, as Fay is coming to give you the fight of your life. And ya know, she will prevail as she has a the will to live.

Fay I don't care how many rounds it takes, you will knock this beast on its as-.

Prayers sent to you Fay. You are so brave.

Maryanne

Dear Fay

Like everyone I was very unhappy to learn that you were having to confront this awful disease again.

There are possibilities now that did now exist even a few years ago. There are new generations of egfr drugs being developed, and some vaccines (one in particular) look promising.

You are in the States which seems to be more aggressive in fighting this than in Europe.

Thinking of you

Jennie

Well, Fay...if I were the cancer in your lung...I'd be getting mighty scared about now. You don't take such things lying down...and I know your approach to this news won't change. You'll continue to research and approach this battle as you always have...in full mental and physical gear.

You won't go quietly into this battle...and I hear ya, girl, cuz neither will/am I!

I'm sorry that the egg painting, gardening, packing and remodeling might not be getting quite ALL of your attention in the coming weeks or more...but I know these activities will get as much as you've got to give them...and THAT is what we call LIVING, isn't it?

Keep on living, researching and fighting, Fay. We've got your back and I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of that art exhibit!