Planting for next Spring!

Leslie221

I just planted 6 golden Iris bulbs out front! They were a "gift" from the garden of the neatest older lady around my little town.

One little voice on my shoulder says, "well, at least Mark will definitely get to enjoy them and remember me." But, the other louder little voice on the other shoulder says, "What are ya talkin' about? YOU'RE going to be here next Spring to see them bloom!"

In honor of THAT voice, I post this here so I can find it next Spring and give a big WOOOHOOO! :D

Leslie

Leslie,

You WILL definitely be here next spring and I will want to see pictures of those Iris bulbs in bloom. Just to make sure you aren't telling us that you were out slaving in the garden today when you were really just lying around eating bon-bons.

Lynne

When Barry was diagnosed last Summer we were told to enjoy that summer while we could. We went to all the summer things that we enjoy and I kept thinking each time is this the last. Well we have had this summer as well and did the usual things again. So here is to next spring and summer for all of us.

Jennie

Leslie,

I was diagnosed in January and started treatments in March. I could not wait for the snow to melt and planted HUNDREDS (I'm not exaggerating, ask my husband) of spring bulbs. I couldn't go shopping, etc., and spent my days in the garden of a house that hadn't seen any hands in the garden for at least ten years. It was hard work...

The first spring, the flowers bloomed in reds and yellows - and we sold the house. I have a house closer to "dream home" now, but when we drove by the old place this spring and all those flowers were dancing, I felt a twinge of regret... Those were my THERAPY flowers, and the new owner had no clue at what cost they were planted...

...next year, I'll work more on the gardens here. This year has been an absolute ZOO! I planted bulbs last year that were run over by an 80-ton crane, transplanted two more times and really didn't sprout much this year (can ya blame 'em?). I planted more bulbs this spring and summer, but the weeds took over the yard - can't be at work and home in the garden at the same time, ya know? It may take a while to get all the gardening going (heck, we need GRASS instead of weeds LOL), but I'll get there. I don't demand another spring, but I really do look forward to the end of the snow and the beginning of the blooms.

Take care, and post pictures of those irises. I had one truly exquisite yellow calla lily this year and hope I did capture it on film....none of the others bloomed quite the same.

Becky

Thanks, everyone!

Those encouraging words make all the difference! In fact, I'm inspired to go out and plant more! (But proably not hundreds! Man, I would love to see THAT garden. Even if they don't know the story behind the flowers, the new people must just LOVE them!)

There will be pictures next spring, even if the flowers are scraggly!

Leslie

We moved into a newly built house 6 months before my dx, my hubby suggested that the next time I went to Costco I should pick 'some' bulbs........I did, and was quite pleased with my selections, daffodils, tulips, crocus and some little star flowers that I didn't know the name of.

He took one look and asked why I thought he wanted to plant 400 bulbs!!!!!!!!! Anyway he did and I helped and whats more they all grew and during the tail end of my tx I watched with great pleasure as our work paid off and our yard turned into a sea of color.

The following year however he declined to add more in the wooded part that we left natural and that's fine.

Enjoy the sights to come in the spring, which will be here before we all know it........don't mind me, I'm just wishing myself through another winter as quickly as I can!!

Take care

Geri