2 years

Don M

Hi you all:

It has been 2 years for me.

On October 30, 2003, my PCP called me at work and said I should come in right away. She read the results of a ct scan to me. It said I had a 4 by 5 cm "mass" in my left upper lobe. She told me, "somebody upstairs must be watching over you, because it was caught early".

I had had a ct scan the previous spring to examine my kidneys and bladder. The lower part of my lungs showed up and a possible node or artifact was revealed in the lower left lung. The radiologist, recommended a follow up ct scan to see if the atifact was still there. After the summer, I decided to do the chest ct scan just to make sure. That is when the mass was found in my upper left lobe. It turned out that I had no significant kidneys/bladder problem, and there was a node in my lower lobe, but it was found to be benign at surgery.

My first raction was to ignore it and go on with my life. I said as much to my PCP. I felt fine. She literally begged me to go see a pulmonologist and pursue it. She said that the most likely outcome was that I would have a lobectomy and be able to go on with my life.

I decided to do it. I have had to believe the docs and the scans and the pathology and finally ended up in having a completion left pneumoectomy last Febbruary, followed by chemo. I think I finally have it beat, and now can have a nearly normal life with checkups.

I am enjoying my life now, and am recently retired.

I miss my lung though. Sounds like a good title for a book. "I Miss MY Lung".

Don M

CONGRATULATIONS DON!!!! Happy HAPPY 2 YEARS!!

You'll start to feel better. I did once I reached that two year mark for some reason. My body started to feel like my body again after they took my lung.

Hope the same works for you.

HAPPY RETIREMENT and HAPPY 2 WONDERFUL YEARS OF BEING A SURVIVOR!! GOOD JOB!