glad I found this

carguy

Hi Rob: I would like to pass on my experience to you and extend you my support.

I have had 2 thoracotomys. The first one was in Jan 2003. I had an upper left lobectomy. My mass was rather large. it was 4x5cm.

My surgeon did a wedge resection of the mass first. The pathologist was at the operating table and did the pathology on the spot. When he said it was malignant, the surgeon proceded to sample my lymph nodes at the mediastinum. They found no malignant lymph nodes. Then, he removed the upper left lobe.

If the mass was found to be benign, the operation would have been halted. If the mediastinum showed malignant lymph nodes, the operation would have been halted. The surgeon told me that malignant mediastinal lymph noders means that the cancer has left the lungs and could be anywhere in the lymphatic system and a lobectomy would be pointless. However, I know of at least one person who had malignant lymph nodes removed along with a lung, did follow up chemo, and has been cancer free for years.

The pathology over the next few days showed the margins of the resected lobe to be clear and the nodes within the lung tissue were clear. Then, I was staged IB.

I did no follow chemo. I wish I would have, because MAYBE it would have prevented my second cancer a year later. I had my second cancer removed along with the rst of my left lung, a year ago. I am cancer free now. The surgeon followed the same protocol described above. My second cancer was 1.2 cm. It was staged IA I did followup chemo regardless of the staging this time. I had 4 rounds of gemzar/carboplatin. I easily tolerated it and don't regret doing the chemo.

I know what you mean about being antsy to get the show on the road and get the surgery over. I decided on my first surgery Nov 30, 2003. I had to wait until Jan 2 to get it done because of the holidays. It drove me nuts because of the waiting. At my second surgery, I only had to wait a week.

Be nice to the nurses and follow their instructions about coughing up gunk and blowing on the spirometer. The single most important thing you can do for recovery is to walk as much as you can.

And, if I were you, I would ask for chemo.

Don M

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome here. You will find we are a great group for support and knowledge.

My husband's LC was also found accidently so his stage was early 1B as it was a big tumor. He did have a biospy but sometimes they don't give one because it could cause a lung to collapse.

Also even if it is benign it still has to come out, so rather than going through with the biospy then mind as well wait till they go into there.

He had his left upper lobe removed and he did great and it did not affect any of his lymph nodes. So he remained with stage 1B.

He had adjunctive chemo after the surgery, but for a procautionary measure. He had 5 rounds of carbo/taxol. That was once a month, the chemo lasted 5 hours. It was tolerable.

You are extremely lucky you are the one in 4 that is operable.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Maryanne

If she were anywhere near perfect, she would be at your side. It may not feel like it right now, but you are lucky again, you found out.

Friends/lovers don't abandon friends/lovers when the chips are down.

I needed an anti-anxiety pill to help to take the edge off at times in the waiting days. You may want to inquire about this with any one of your doctors.

As soon as treatment begins, you will emtionally feel a whole lot better. I promise you.

Cindi o'h

I've elected to have the surgery here in Chattanooga at Memorial Hospital. I think I've found a very good team of doctors, two of them even happen to be clients of mine. I have a lot of faith in both of them.

My surgeon today told me that he will try to perform a Thorascopy but due to the location of my little black buddy (deep in the lung) combined with the fact that I'm very broad shouldered and barrell chested, he tells me that in his experience a Thoracotomy will probably be necessary.

Hospital time could be as much as 10 days and total recovery in 6-8 weeks is what he is telling me now.

Anyone have any experience with hiring a home nurse or anything like that? He was a bit concerned that I live alone.

And BTW - the hospital has wifi :)

The VNA (Visiting Nurses Association) is what I have used in the past. Check with your insurance company to see which visiting nurse organization they will pay for. When the doctor recommends home health help the insurance will usually pay. This also includes physical therapy at home if you are unable to go out which you probably won't be able to do right away. The VNA is usually in every area.

Rob--

Following your surgery and a few days before going home ask to see the hospital discharge planner. They should provide you with the information you need. Now some are much better than others but you should at least get a list of agencies in your area to choose from with numbers etc. that you can call and get any in-home care lined up. Make sure your doctor orders what you need so your insurance will cover it.

About the stairs...got a lazy boy or something you can sleep on downstairs?

Good luck on the surgery.

Rochelle

Spending the week with a friend is probably a good idea on several fronts. I live alone and thought I would be A-OK with a minor surgery a couple of years ago but found out that I was very glad my sister came and stayed several days. And my surgery was just laparoscopy. She pampered me when I needed and berated me when I needed that, too.

Hmmmm, a man without a recliner....I didn't know Mother Nature had made such a creature as that.

FLH

I've lived life to the fullest. I've lived, loved, travelled, explored, pushed my physical limits, partied like it was 1999, fallen on my knees in supplication, laughed at the gods, cried for humanity, gotten high with kings, fed the poor, and found my wings.

Still, there must be more....

I've come so far and can't quit now. Looks like I'm in for the fight of my life without adequate training - gotta fix that - must become lean and mean. Nothing else will save me now. I knew I'd die young, but now is not the time. I'm just starting to find out what is important and damn it - I'm not ready- it's not right- it's not the time

- it's not going to happen.

Rage -

Rage and anger is what I'm feeling. Must get my mind around that, harness it, spend it, revel in it. Falling from the top it's a long way down. Dont want to finish it like this. The writer hasn't finished the script yet. One year, Five years, fu__ that - it's not enough! I need more, I want more, I deserve more. Must have more - happiness dangling in front of my face and being jerked away from me - not gonna happen! Sometimes I just wanna scream...

Scream away get it all out and do what you want top do! Then put on the Game face and refuse to lose any battle that comes along the wayside. Good luck with the surgery saying a prayer in the Carolinas.