CALLING ALL LC SURVIVORS!!!

Connie B

Welcome hopeful!

Love your USER NAME! It speaks VOLUMES! :D:wink:

I hope you'll sign on with us here at LCSC and get to know some wonderful supportive fun loving folks.

Congratulations on your Survivorship! Keep on Keepin On! This little bugger is DOABLE And TREATABLE! Don't give up hope. You'll learn how to live in the moment! :wink:

The results came in from the MRI and CT scans. No new tumors in body, one new "pindot" met to the head. I have had rare surgery to my right lower lobe and no systemic treatment for over 4 months. For the cancer to be stable is good news in my case. I'm so grateful it's as good as it is.

7/06 Diagnosed stage 4 with mets to brain and bones

7/06 Radiation to mets in brain

8/06 Started 6 treatments of "jet fuel" chemo

consisting of Avastin, carboplatin and taxol

1/7 Avastin only until June

6/7 Radiation to mets in femur, spine

8/7 Right lower lobe removed

I'm now waiting to resume Avastin / Alimta chemotherapy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rose1853, Congratulations on being a 2.9 year LC Survivor! It's always good to see a fellow warrior. :wink: However, I wish we didn't have to meet this way. I hope you'll think of sticking around and offer some hope and support to other lung cancer survivors. I hope your laryngeal cancer is gone and that your doing WELL all the way around!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
:roll: I am new to this forum but had to add my 2 cents in this survivor war. I was DX with NSCLC stage IV on Oct 2, 2007, my 61st birthday. 6 months after I got married to a wonderful husband and caregiver. I entered a clinical study and received 4 cycles of Taxol, Carboplatin and Avastin with a good response. I must say the chemo treatments were a little rough because of the severe leg pain and fatigue, but not near as bad as I thought it was going to be. My CT scans have shown improvement and shrinkage consistently, the fluid is also subsiding. I am now on the Avastin regimen every 3 weeks with Zometa for my bone mets every 6 weeks. I am having some pain in my chest and back radiating down my sciatic nerve, but hey I am walking around and living some kind of life now. Happy for that! I am a survivor as long as I wake up and see the day begin, play with my dogs and go to work. :lol:

Hey Bikergirl, CONGRATES on being a lung cancer SURVIVOR!!!!!! :D:wink: Yep, it's a GOOD day as long as we get out of bed and feel human! :wink:

Sorry to hear you got this news on your birthday! That's pretty sucky! But, please keep in mind, this monster can be beat and it can be controlled, even at a stage IV.

Hope you'll stick around and share your ups and downs with us and let us share ours with you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still here. I have not posted in quite a while. I had a PET Scan in June on 07 and they came back with cautiously optimistic. With in a month, I was confronted with a choice for a second line therapy. I chose a study and after 3 rounds I wanted to be dead!!! I stopped the study, went into Home Hospice and have been getting better ever since. They had thought maybe 3 weeks!!! About 3 months about I started taking Tarceva and handled that well.

My emotions go everywhere. We just got back (3/1-3/8) trip to Disney World with our 5 and 7 year olds. That was my big milestone to that point. Well the next milestone is 4/4 - my 50th birthday.

I have days of hope and days of just being tired of all of this. Then the guilt for not appreciating EVERY DAY!!!! I am blessed for every day that I have with my kids, that I know. And the reality is that in many ways that fact that I am still here is helping them with my eventual passing.

Well, I guess that's all for now from me.

Hi Terri, So good to see you and hear from you. :D Wow kiddo, you've been though the mill and back. I'm just damn glad you came back! :wink::D

Stop back on your birthday and we'll help you to celebrate. I can remember thinking that wouldn't live to see 50 and here I am going on 56. :wink:

I'll just keep wishing and praying the same for you.

Hello Connie:

My name is Linda and I am a 6 year lung cancer survivor. I have had two surgeries, chemo, target therapy.

June 18, 2002 dx. I had a lobectomy to my upper right lobe and that was a 5.5 hour VATS surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in NYC. I live in New Jersey.

Feb, 2005 cancer returned to my chest wall and had my first round of chemo. I was on cisplatin/velban for 6 weeks and at the same time radiation for 30 treatments. I was in the hospital with esophagitis for 4 days. Prior to that I was not able to sleep, eat, and drink because it hurt my esophagus so bad. When I went for my radiation on a Tuesday I was so sick that they just admitted me in the hospital. I was given pain meds in my port before I had my bland and puree food to heat for a half hour before and when I ate the food I was loving it.

Well I was pretty much taxed out by the end of my treatments after 6 weeks. I had a hard time with my daily life since I was so weak from it all. I was getting better after it was over but unfortunately I did develope neuropathy and fibromyalgia and was in alot of pain with my joints and muscles. I had to go on pain meds to make it thru the day. I am currently on the pain meds today and more.

Feb.2007 the cancer returned in my lower right lobe and I had my second VATS surgery. I had a wedge resection of my lower left lobe. At that time of the surgery I had a lot of pain after the surgery. I had a very hard time breathing and was sent home with oxygen and was on it for 2 weeks 24/7. I recoverd from that surgery.

October, 2007 it returned again in my lung and I had developed 6 tumors in my right lung and 1 in my left lung. I started on the targeted therapy which was Tarceva. I started that on November 13 and stayed on it for 3 months. It was also a clinical trial. I was kicked off of it with my first ct scan because I had disease progression. I stayed on the tarceva and I had all the side effects you can possibly have. For those of you that have been on Tarceva know what I am talking about. Oh yes at this time the cancer had changed to stage IV. Came off the Tarceva because my scan had shown that 5 of my tumors in my right lung had grown and the one in my left was stable.

So here I am today on Alimta. I have been on it for 3 cycles. I had it today and I am going for a ct scan on April 17. I am very anxious to see if it is working. If it is not working then I might be going back to see my wonderful surgeon at Sloan-Kettering for a 3rd surgery to get rid of the upper two tumors that are the largest.

My oncologist called me at one time his miracle patient then he calls me his warrior and today I was a cat with many lives. So I guess I can be called a survivor. I am a fighter and I have the Lord taking ever step of this horrible cancer journey with me.

Hello my name is Linda.

God Bless

Linda

Hi Linda, And once again let me say WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!

CONGRATULATIONS on being a 5 Year Lung Cancer Survivor! HOORAY!!!!!!!!

Well Linda, you sure are a Miracle, and a LC Survivor and even a Cat, but I'm going to call you my NEW FRIEND! :wink: I'm so glad to see you have beat this monster that lurks within us. I sure hope you'll stay with us and offer support and HOPE to others. It's VERY NICE TO MEET YOU!!

What a story you have, Linda. It's one that truly makes me question once again ~ who wrote the book of fair???? You truly are one remarkable woman......for dealing with this horrid disease on so many different occasions AND for the manner in which are continue to do so.

May alimta work 'miracles' for the 'miracle' woman!!!! I feel privileged to share part of your journey with you.

Kasey

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ALL,

Been quite some time since I posted but tomorrow is my three year survival date. Have a CT Scheduled and hopefully everything will be well. I will let you know. I count everyday as a blessing and have been really living it up. Spent the entire winter in sunny Florida and actually bought a house in Ft Myers so no more snow for me and the wife!!! Kasey if you out there hope you and Fred are both well and I really have to apologize for staying away from the boards so long.

God bless all of you and hope you are doing well.

Bill in PA

• 1 month later...

This is just a quick note to let all of you know that I am finally back. I had computer problems and was gone for 2 months. I missed all of you.

I am doing well. Still on the Alimta and having some side effects from it but nothing that I can't handle.

Had a mini vacation in Aruba. Wow what a wonderful place. I came home and asked my s/o if he would move there and his answer was "NO". I would love to pack it all up and go.

I hope all is well with everyone since I have not talked to anyone.

God Bless all

Love

Linda/Meadow

• 1 month later...

Well, I am a newbie on this site, but I count each day I wake up as surviving.

16 year gallbladder cancer survivor

3 month 1b NSCLC upper left lobe removed , surgery 04/08/08, no treatments at this time.

Thanks to all the survivors that have posted, it really helps someone new to all of this know that there is hope. Sometimes the doc's get so gloomy that you can't help but wonder if you have a chance. You guys prove there is more than a chance, there is hope.

Hi Sarah and WELCOME to LCSC. Congratulations on being a SURVIVOR! You GO GIRL!!!!! Didn't you know that being a lung cancer survivor it's YOUR job to retrain some of these doctor's stinking thinking about lung cancer survival???? :roll::wink::D This is now part of your job discription!!!!! LOL! LOL! LOL!

I am sorry you have to be here, but I am HAPPY to see your a SURVIVOR!!!! I hope you'll stay with us and get to know the wonderful people here at LCSC. Your in good company!!!!