Sister Stage 3B NSCLC

meinman

Hello,

My name is Mary in I live in Virginia. My father died of Lung Cancer in 1977 at the age of 53. I am the youngest of eight. My mother is also deceased. My 47 year old sister was diagnosed in January with a tumor in her upper right lung. She has been staged 3B. She currently is receiving radiation 5x a week for 6 weeks; aswellas, chemo every Thursday. They are using a taxol/carbo cocktail. The doctors will reevaluate after the six week treatment. My sister is married and has three boys: 18, 15, and 13.

They are great kids!! My family is very concerned for my sister and "on edge".

Mary - My heart goes out to you and your sister. This is a terrifying time for all of you.

My sister was diagnosed nearly two years ago also at the age of 47. Her first treatment was also taxol/carbo. It wasn't easy but she - one by one - addressed all the side effects, and arranged her chemo so that the worst day after treatment was on a Saturday. She missed no work at all & after she finished treatment was in remission for almost 8 months.

Her cancer returned & she's been through lots more treatment but at this very moment she is OKAY & still at her job as a middle school teacher!

So, hang in there! Learn all you can & ask lots of questions & DO NOT give up hope!

Mary, It can be avery difficult road, as you well know, but I definitely think it is easier w/support. Here you'll find the best encouragement and "hand-holding" and "hugs" anywhere. You'll also find miraculous stories. Visit often. Sending positive vibes to you & your sister! JudyB

Dear Mary,

So sorry to learn of your sister's cancer but want to welcome you here. We definitely understand about that "edginess" that cancer engenders. I hope we can be of help to you and your sister as she faces the future as one of us SURVIVORS.

There is hope. My father has been battling stage IIIB NSCLC for 5 years. He has done very well with chemotherapy. The only advice I have is to be proactive with the doctors...do some homework on the treatments. Yes it's a rollercoaster but there certainly is hope.