New with stage 4 non small cell lung cancer

ben

Welcome Ben,

I too apologize for reading this so late, but wanted to add my sincerest and warmest welcome.

Choosing the path that you have is a difficult choice, and one only you could make. Whether to do treatment or not, both roads are tough.

I agree with everyone in that a second opinion couldn't hurt, and might put you in a position to find hope and a long and happy life. There are so many new treatments out there today, and new medications out there to help make treatments more tolerable.

My husband was diagnosed with stage IV back in March 2003. He was told he was incurable, inoperable, and that they could do things for pallative pain relief but that would be it, those pallative treatments may prolong his life some but we shouldn't expect much, maybe 9-12 month with treatment.

Well, we fired that negative nelly, and found us a doc willing to fight (my husband was only 31 and not ready to quit yet). Well, as you can see it has been over 3 years. The majority of that time was wonderful quality time. Yes, there was nausea and sickness, worry and test times. But sprinkled in there were times of intense love and sharing, laughter and silliness, gentle companionship and overall living. Until this past month he still worked full time, we traveled, he did housework and yard work and worked on his car. Sounds like a pretty normal and wonderful life, and if we'd listened to that first nay sayer, we would have missed it all.

Now, only you can say for sure how you feel, how your body feels, and what you want to do. It is hard for us who are struggling every day to hold onto one ounce of hope to imagine the "path less traveled", but there are those out there who know themselves and what they want and choose it. If that is your choice I support you in it, and will be here as friend, prayer team, and supporter throughout.

I wish you the best, and look forward to getting to know you even more.

God Bless,

Carleen

I'm sure you will get a lot of answers similar to this - but you should get more opinions! STage 4 can be treatable. There are so many different things to try now. And if you find something intolerable, you can switch. Also, you can change your mind at any time and opt to go without any treatment. But you might want to consider trying.

Also, if you live near NYC or would be willing to travel, I have a great doctor that specializes in cancer who offers integrative treatments. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more. Take care.