Feeding tube experience

Guest Tree Spirit

Guest Tree Spirit

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. My dad has had difficulties eating since before his treatments began because the cancer is squeezing his esophagus. The oncologists have suggested a feeding tube which will be inserted by gastrostomy if the endoscopy shows this will work. Does anyone have experience with feeding tubes? Good or bad. What are the problems to look for or avoid? Any tips? All of this is an entirely new experience to my family. Thanks for any advice or past experience you can share!

I'm sorry I don't have any advice on feeding tubes. My husband never had one.

I wanted to welcome you and I hope someone with more experience logs on soon.

I just think a feeding tube is a very serious step. Once one in in place that is it for taking in food by mouth. I know at least 2 people on this site who had tumors squeezing the esophagus and they had their esophagus stretched. I don't know much about the procedure, hopefully they will respond. Maybe you can ask your dad's oncologist about stretching the esophagus.

You will be in my prayers.

He should do fine with the feeding tube. They can have a pump unit or be gravity fed on a pole. The main things to be careful of are not to catch the tubing-- it can be pulled out and then it will need to be reinserted--and be careful not to clog it. If you use it for meds they need to be in liquid form or crushed very finely.

Welcome!

Rochelle

i had a feeding tube for about three months and it literally saved my life. Getting it put in was easy but it hurt like "I don't know what" getting it out. I recommend getting it put in under anesthesia and taken out the same way. It was a bit cumbersome but you definately get used to it. I was able to take all of meds through the tube as well as remain nourished. The main thing was keeping it clean and clear. I washed my out a whole bunch--the nutritionist said I could be the poster child for feeding tubes because mine was so clean. After I was able to eat again,I had it removed and all that remains is a little hole in my tummy. Kind of looks like another belly button.

Hope this helps!!

God Bless!!

Jamie

My mom did not have problems with the tumor squeezing her esophagus, but did have problems eating after chemo and radiation. Her oncologist told her it was probably a constriction that could be fixed by having her esophagus stretched. The first gastro doc she saw wanted to give her a feeding tube but we did not think the situation was that severe and mom REALLY did not like that doc. The second gastro determined mom's problem was ulcers and after changing her meds she is fine.

A friend of my mom and dad's had throat cancer and so radiation was targeted directly on the esophagus. His doctor had a feeding tube inserted before he started treatments. After 3 months it was removed and he is doing well now.

Good Luck, Karen

My wife has had a feeding tube since last Aug. She got it due to a total gastrectomy not cancer. However it will help her as we go through this. First off your dad could still eat food by mouth as long as he can tolerate it, the tube feeding is a suppliment to normal eating in most cases that I am fimilar with. The biggest problem that I have noticed so far is keeping it unclogged and Keeping it in place. MY wife's seems to leak around the tube because the balloon does not stay inflated all the time. Usually requires a trip to the dr to reinflate. When the balloon deflates the tube has a tendency to move in and out freely. We have had a few incidents where the tube came completely out and had to be reinserted. Caused her a lot of pain, but once it was back in she was fine. Wish you the best of luck and my prayers are with you.

Troy

My husband had his tumor pressing on his esophagus and the doctor actually stented his esophagus open and put in a feeding tube for a back up measure at the same time. In his case the tumor was also pressing on the bronchial tube and a stent was also put in his trachea. It was a complicated scenario, but the stents worked to help his breathing as well as allow him to eat. The only thing was that he had to be on a special diet with everything cut very small , had to be moist and had to be chased with lots of water . The feeding tube was only to be used for emergency purposes if the stent were to become dislodged etc. If you have any further questions of me, feel free to pm or email me.

Sue

Guest Tree Spirit

Thanks everyone for all your encouragement and advice! The feeding tube doesn't sound so bad. A stent was discussed, but dismissed because it would be right in the middle of the radiation field or area of treatment. The rad onc also talked about stretching his esophogus, but she said that would be an option if the esophogus was scarred from radiation. Right now it won't help because the tumor will just squeeze it back. I guess he will just have to learn to live with the inconvenience for a while. It's good to know that he can still eat normally if he feels up to it! Thanks!