Whole Brain Radiation

Elise

Hello to All,

I have been here before but am more of a reader than a writer. I just can't get to that place yet. As some of you may know my mother (77) has been through the mill like most of you here. She has now started whole brain radiation. She is in to her 8th day out of 15 and she is like a zombie. I really cannot imagine her finishing the 15 days because she cannot even really walk that well anymore and just sleeps. Does anyonw know anything more about this topic.

I wish everyone the best and at night I wish all the sick people could be well. (And that is coming from someone who is turning 50 this week). It seems like something a 7 year old would say. Thanks, Elise

I'm so sorry about your mom. What is she getting WBR for, brain mets? And what do you mean "like a zombie"?

My dad had brain mets and he also had stereotactic brain rad. I did notice he was acting more strange by the day, however we thought it could be the brain swelling from the rad. It was probably the disese advancing.

I really hope your mom feels better. Stay strong. Thinking like a 7 year old is all I could do when my dad was sick! It's an awful, awful disease.

Elise,

Is this PCI or whole brain radiation? Were there mets to the brain? I guess I ask this because it appears the dosage is different. We were told there would be fatigue, but that it would really hit hard about 2 weeks after the final radiation. Then, it would gradually get better. Is this all emotionally draining on your mom? Could that be what is making her more tired? What kind of lung cancer does your mom have? I have no idea what the tiredness could be, as I am just searching in the dark.

Please know you and your mom are in my thoughts. God bless!

Jen

I have had some discussion of WBR due to mets. I was told that I would be tired, nauseated and have variuos "possible" problems due to brain swelling, short term.

In reading up on it, I believe many people experience extreme fatigue. Even regular radiation cause fatigue.

Is she on decadron - because that relieves some of the swelling and actually acts like somewhat of a "high".

Best wishes.

Mary

Elise,

As you can see by my husbands' profile he has WBR in April and was extemely exhausted, just to let you know, it is normal to experience. I would ask too are you on steroids, because that would help w/ the swelling, my husband couldn't take steroids because they elevated his blood sugar so high, it was too much of a risk.

Grace